PDA

View Full Version : The Greatest Fantasy Tale Ever Told...!

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Evil Agent
July 7th, 2003, 07:45 PM
Hey folks.
Not sure if anyone's done something like this before, or if this will be moved to the "Writing" or "Playroom" forums, but I thought we could try and come up with a makeshift fantasy story. And, as it is Fantasy, I think we should leave it in this forum.

The Rules:
Only one rule - you can't write more than 25 lines. This could be changed early on, if anyone has a strong objection to that number. But you CAN write less than that, with no minimum.
Also, ANYONE can write, regardless of skill. The story can be serious at times, and humorous at others... Let's have some fun with this one!

So, here it is.
(BTW, I'm a very very amateur writer).

The Greatest Fantasy Tale Ever Told - By the members of Sffworld.com

Chapter I - Hunting

The old man ran along the muddy road, paying no heed to the damage he was doing to his cloak. He did not even register the state he was in, for his mind was focused only on one thing...
Time, he thought. Time is running out!
Cold, hungry, and on the verge of exhaustion, he pushed his failing body further down the road, tapping into that hidden power that had always sustained him in times such as this. He wiped the rain from his eyes with one heavy black sleeve, and continued on his way.
I just hope I'm not too late.

Evil Agent
July 7th, 2003, 10:37 PM
P.S. Remember, let's just have fun. Even if it's just one line, post it anyway. Don't be discouraged by the idea! Participate!!!
:D :) :D :)

Iskaral Pust
July 8th, 2003, 06:10 AM
The old man continued to curse his way through the mud. Above him the sky glowed red - dawn was coming. Finally he arrived at his destination, the village in the valley below him was in ruins. Fear warred with despair in the man's eyes. The Pink Elephant had gotten here first.

Legolas
July 8th, 2003, 09:01 AM
The man searched his heart for courage to face the elephant because he knew it could be the end of him. He stopped beside a tree that had been completely demolished and wondered if he should turn back. He thought to himself that he could turn away and run to a new life but the thought of the village would always be burned into his memory. He wondered if there are any survivors.

Evil Agent
July 8th, 2003, 09:43 AM
Then he remembered all that had happened to him... All that the elephant had wreaked upon him and his kin. Pain, blood, too much to remember. His uncertainty bloomed into a dead, cold resolve to move forward and end it now.

From the ruined village below, he heard the trumpeting of his fate.

He tried to clear his mind of all but his Pillar, the strong, titanic well of power that he had gained over the long course of his days. He connected to the Pillar, and became one with the fire of the Universe.

It wasn't enough to save them. He ignored the thought by doubling the intensity of his connection, letting the white-hot furnace inside him burn that much hotter.

The Elephant would die this day.

Rob B
July 8th, 2003, 11:51 AM
We've done this before and it has always been in the Writing Forum which is where the topic now resides.

Aidan Aasarin
July 8th, 2003, 05:41 PM
The Elephant would die this day.
He said it to himself again and again like a mantra, willing the Pillar to his need. He pushed down his fear and gathered courage from it, knowing that the same power he called on now gave lifeforce to his adversary. Would his need be enough this time? Is vengeance now the fuel needed to stop the abomination or would it fail him again? The molten fire waxed and waned in him as he fought for his resolve.
The old man sensed the creature was near, the Pillarís power giving him a vile link to the Pink Elephant. The creature was so far unaware of him; it was probably sedated by its most recent kill. The old man smiled. Perhaps the balance will be mine in surprise. He crept forward over the tumbled stones of the village wall and into gloom. Then he heard it call out again. Pure, venemous rage echoed across the world in the Elephants call.
Strength left the old man and he fell to his knees. It knew he was near and had been waiting for him. Fear gripped his heart and tears welled up in his eyes as the power began to fail him. Hanging his head he thought, So close. I was so cl...

Evil Agent
July 8th, 2003, 07:50 PM
I was so close...

The Old Man, who had once been called Adrigan before the Elephant destroyed that life, now raised his head with his final strength.

He felt the ground shake, and then beheld the bane of his entire existence coming around the rubble of what might have been the Village Inn. Huge, pinkish-red, and rotting. The very air around the Elephant seemed to recoil from its evil. Its wrongness.

The Elephants eye's were bloodshot and watery, and the skin on his face was literally hanging from the massive skull in sheets of foulness. It's once-gleaming tusks were now yellowed and cracked with age, but still sharp enough to kill. It saw Adrigan, and it knew him. It remembered.

An Elephant never forgets Adrigan muttered to himself, somehow finding humour in the last moments of his broken life.

The beast roared in triumph as it recognized him, the Old Man, the fly that had annoyed it for years. Despite its age and its obvious disease, it mustered the strength for a deadly charge.

The Elephant thundered toward him, and Adrigan recognized his death...

And then he felt the Pillar burst back to full strength.. No, wait, it was not his own... Nor was it that of the Elephant Beast. But through his faint connection to that force, he felt Another. Strong, frighteningly strong. And right behind him...

Chapter II - (Insert Title)

Evil Agent
July 10th, 2003, 09:43 AM
This thread keeps getting moved! Fantasy, to Writing, to Playroom! Argh!

Add a line or two! :)

Evil Agent
July 11th, 2003, 05:45 PM
I know you're all decent writers! Or at least I THOUGHT you all were....;)

(Tries to egg you on)

COME ON!