PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone recognize this book?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

harvscar
July 10th, 2003, 09:01 PM
First of all, hello! I'm new to the forum but it seems like a great resource. I hope you can help with a favor. A friend would like to know the title of the book that he remembers reading from 9th grade, that was probably published in the 80s. His description:

This is a major shot in the dark, but in the 80's, I read a book about 5 or 6 youths who wake up on a deserted planet after their ship crashed. There were these worm like monsters that lived there. One of the five character was this bad guy who was real thin and gaunt, but very powerful. The ground was soft and springy. And some of their crew was killed in the crash. That is about all I remember. And this wasn't Dune! It ends with the main character beating the bad guy, and was set up for a sequel. Help me out here

All the youths were in sleep chambers. The main character was a big guy, but much slower than the boney pale guy that was military trained. There were only five or six humans on this planet.

The planet had this springy grass like surface with a wormlike beast coming out of it on the cover. And no it was not dune.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Harv

Expendable
July 29th, 2003, 11:43 AM
it sounds a little like the Remnants series by k. a. applegate but I think that's a new series.

confused
July 31st, 2003, 09:34 AM
it's one of a long series written by Douglas Hill. I'm not sure of the title, but it was something along the lines of 'Planet of Death'. There were teenagers from different gangs on earth, including one who could see in the dark and had a metal S embedded in her forehead. I searched on the internet, but couldn't find the title(s) I was looking for. There was a bunch of kids wandering around a big forest/swamp killing worms with laser weapons, and an evil soldier type with whom they had dominance battles (did they end up befriending him ?)

hope that helps

Clarkesworld
August 1st, 2003, 12:37 AM
Douglas Hill wrote a book called PLANET OF THE WARLORD. It was the final book of the LAST LEGIONARY series, which I believe was four books long. The main character was Keill Randor.

There are books called PLANET OF DEATH by Silverberg and another by Hoyle, but neither seem to fit that description. Couldn't find anything by Hill with that title.

-Neil

confused
August 1st, 2003, 03:54 AM
found it !
I'm pretty sure it's a series of books whose titles were "Exiles of Colsec", "Caves of Klydor", and "Colsec Rebellion" by Douglas Hill.
Here's a short review (http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Dunes/8791/h.html)

Expendable
August 17th, 2003, 05:34 PM
it sounds definitely like Exiles of Colsec by Douglas Hill.