PDA

View Full Version : Need help remembering a book

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

phil_geo
July 11th, 2003, 10:36 AM
I read a fantasy book that was, I would guess, at least 10 years old, and I cannot remember what the title or author was.

*** Spoilers for this random book I can't remember the name of ***

It was about a girl who lived on a farm outside town with her father where they raised fantastic creatures, like griffins and whatnot. Her father had died, and she was rasing them alone. She often saw this incredibly beautiful creature from a distance outside her farm but could never capture it.

She eventually falls in love with this guy, while an evil wizard falls in love with her. Lurking in the back of the plot, there's a mythical evil creature that appears and destroys you if you say it's name. Her lover says it's name and somehow escapes, and eventually she tricks the evil wizard into saying it's name and it kills him. She then finds out the beautiful creature and the horrible one are two sides of the same beast.

So does this ring a bell with anyone? I owned it but I can't find it in my books.

Thanks!

Warewolf
July 11th, 2003, 02:11 PM
I'm pretty sure this is The Forgotten Beasts of Eld by Patricia McKillip.

phil_geo
July 12th, 2003, 12:55 AM
Thanks a lot! I found the first 8 pages online, and I am pretty sure that's the book. I ordered a copy and it's in the mail.