PDA

View Full Version : Help Required - Old SF book title?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

monkeywrangler
July 14th, 2003, 12:41 PM
Hi there, this is my first post so please forgive any mistakes or stupid questions.

About 15 years ago I remember reading a couple of SF books that I've been looking for ever since but can't remember the titles. I can't find any information at all, but I'm only going on the vague plot points I can remember.

I'm sure the books were aimed at teenagers (which I was at the time I read them) and I am also 60% sure there were 3 books,although I may well be wrong on that.

Basically it was set in England, in the near future...there was an Alien invasion, large black ships suddenly appearing in the sky over London and beginning to attack. I think the bad guys were called "K'Thraa" or something similar and they had personal energy shields which could only be breached by a gun that fired relatively slow speed "needles."

I really can't remember much more about the books, but does anyone have any idea what the title is or has anyone ever read something that sounds similar? (remember the books are at least 15yrs old.)

I know it's a long shot but I thought I'd give it a go.

Thanks!

Mark.

emohawk
July 14th, 2003, 08:16 PM
Sounds a bit like Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke. Then again is sounds like a cross between Independence Day and Dune (with the personal shields) as well.

vortexreader
July 22nd, 2003, 01:03 AM
It's been a while since I read them...but this sounds a little bit like the Tripods novels of John Christopher...probably a long shot though.

Kaz
July 22nd, 2003, 04:01 AM
vortexreader - Tripods were four novels as far as I can remember, it started out as a Trilogy, but a fourth book was added later if memory serves (but I could be totally wrong) I'm not sure if the storyline monkey described is that of Tripods, unless there were large machines in monkey's story, demanding to be worshipped by humans..............(monkey?) but for the life of me I cannot think what the story he is after could be :( Will go through a few of my old ones & have a look see

vortexreader
July 22nd, 2003, 08:28 PM
You're right Kaz...Tripods is 4 novels. Oh, well...I did say it was a long shot! :D

Hobbit
July 23rd, 2003, 09:17 AM
No, it's not Tripods.

Sounds a bit like Gordon R Dickson's Way of the Pilgrim, though if I remember right that wasn't England.

Hobbit

monkeywrangler
July 23rd, 2003, 02:48 PM
Thanks for the replies.

It definitely wasn't the Tripods, no giant machines and I can remember reading the Tripods books.

It was almost definitely set in England (at least initially) and was contempory with when I read the book(s).....so probably late 80's setting.

I've been thinking about it more and all I can remember is the "large black ships suddenly appearing in the sky", "bodies floating down the Thames", "Aliens (K'Thraa or similar) having somekind of defence shield" and the main characters developing "needle guns" to overcome the shields.

I'm not suggesting it was a literary work of art but I have fond memories and would love to re-read the books. I wish I could remember more useful details!!

At the moment I am looking forward to the next book by Alistair Reynolds, as well as (hopefully) another book by Richard Morgan set in the universe of Altered Carbon/Broken Angels.

Thanks once again.

Monkey.

Duccius
July 27th, 2003, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by emohawk
Sounds a bit like Childhood's End by Arthur C. Clarke. Then again is sounds like a cross between Independence Day and Dune (with the personal shields) as well.

I do not think it is Childhood's End, the visiting aliens were not belligerent to the people of earth if I remember correctly.

However, I know I have read the book in question but I cannot for the life of me remember the title. Give me time.

Hobbit
July 28th, 2003, 05:41 AM
I do not think it is Childhood's End
Yes should have replied to that one too...it's not Childhood's End, either. :( (I'm getting good at working out what it's not, but not so good on what it is! :) )

I'm getting the impression it's a Young Adult book, though nothing else is emerging from the recesses yet, I'm afraid! :)

Hobbit

monkeywrangler
July 28th, 2003, 05:04 PM
It was a young adult book I think, like I said not a literary work of genius but entertaining!

Now I'm older and alot more widely read I would like to revisit the book.

Thanks once again for the help.