PDA

View Full Version : Hitler: The Rise Of Evil

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

milamber_reborn
July 15th, 2003, 12:16 AM
Just finished watching part 2. A damn good mini-series. Robert Carlyle put in a commanding performance. Great supporing cast too.

I think they could have done a sequal, with something actually to do with the war, but oh well.

Kaz
July 15th, 2003, 03:44 AM
IMO it's better that they don't do a sequel, we've had so many WWII movies & mini series etc, it's a nice change that they focus more on the man & his madness.

Evil Agent
July 15th, 2003, 09:12 AM
I saw that on a couple times, but sadly I never watched it. I just thought it was funny that Robert Carlyle was Hitler, and I thought that I couldn't really accept him in that role. I just kept seeing 'Begby' from Trainspotting! :)

Now that I think of it, he is a pretty good actor. Guess I missed out!

Asraloth
July 15th, 2003, 07:24 PM
i don't know, but this mini-series seemed to be a bit stale. i liked how they portrayed historical events and how carlyle really mastered Hitler's speeches, even though it was in eglish it sounded exactly like him.

but i was disappointed ultimately because it looked like a movie that was going to be controversial and take some risks, but it didn't.

it refused to humanise (not sympathise with) Hitler, instead making him the cardboard cutout monster commonly associated with Hitler. yes, yes, he was psychotic and did some really evil things, but he was a human being. and i think people don't want to admit that, so they make him this one-dimensional character. and i just didn't buy the scenes when he was a kid. those evil glares the little kid made were just ridiculous. i cannot believe that a child is born evil. the filmmakers seemed to though. they made him an evil character from start to finish, never showing us why. and that really disappointed me.

milamber_reborn
July 15th, 2003, 09:01 PM
I felt for the guy in Part 1, even knowing what he's going to do. Then in Part 2 they made me feel for those trying to stop him. Considering the subject matter, setting, plot etc. it was an exciting mini-series.

Asraloth
July 15th, 2003, 10:01 PM
^^i've no argument there that it was a good mini-series, but i just feel they took the safe way with the character. ie, evil born and not made.