View Full Version : Name some classics

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Se'dray-on
July 16th, 2003, 05:15 PM
Just curious, but what do you guys consider the "Great Classics of Film"?

Stuff like Citizen Kane, Matrix.

Things of that nature

Shehzad
July 16th, 2003, 06:02 PM
The Matrix, up there with Citizen Kane??????? It's a good movie, but hardly the best of all-time.

Classics for me: The Godfather Parts I and II, Gone with the Wind, Bridge on the River Kwai, The Great Escape, The Shawshank Redemption, Braveheart, The Silence of the Lambs, Lawrence of Arabia.....

In genre films, Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back are not to be disputed. Lord of the Rings may get up there with time, too.

And plenty others...

nobody
July 16th, 2003, 07:51 PM
Good list Shehzad.

Its a bit hard to know how old a movie has to be to see if it has past the test of time, but since you have The Shawshank Redemption there I think I can add The Usual Suspects.

Also Casablanca should be there somewhere. Also Wizard of Oz (although I don't like it I think it is clearly a classic).

You have a distinction between classics in a genre and all round classics. I can think of several movies I would count as classics in their genre but I think that Star Wars as a series should be concidered all round classics because of the impact they have had. Another movie I would include as a classic is Blade runner but you could claim it is only a classic in its genre.

Shayna
July 16th, 2003, 08:58 PM
There are quite a few out there to mention! :D

I go for the oldies, I'm afraid! Gone with the wind, Wizard of Oz.... There are so many to choose from!

The old Bob Hope and Bing Crosby movies are a fav. of mine. Anybody here remember Red Skelton?? Now what a comedian!!:D :D

I am gonna give someone else a chance and get back to you on this!! Love to talk about movies!! hehe

Shehzad
July 16th, 2003, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by nobody
Good list Shehzad.

Its a bit hard to know how old a movie has to be to see if it has past the test of time, but since you have The Shawshank Redemption there I think I can add The Usual Suspects.

Also Casablanca should be there somewhere. Also Wizard of Oz (although I don't like it I think it is clearly a classic).

You have a distinction between classics in a genre and all round classics. I can think of several movies I would count as classics in their genre but I think that Star Wars as a series should be concidered all round classics because of the impact they have had. Another movie I would include as a classic is Blade runner but you could claim it is only a classic in its genre.

Oooh, ooh yes! both Casablanca and The Usual Suspects were accidentally left off the list. Star Wars is also a clear classic, not only in the genre but overall. Blade Runner is definitely the best SF film of all time, but is probably too "cult" to be considered a true classic-- same with Se7en and perhaps Fight Club.

Pluvious
July 16th, 2003, 11:14 PM
Not sure about Usual Suspects. What's the difference between the Matrix and Usual Suspects? Both good movies but not sure about classic. I would say classic is a movie that has a lasting impact.

What about ET, maybe Beauty and the Beast, Lord of the Rings, Caddyshack, Pretty Woman, Pulp Fiction...

Se'dray-on
July 16th, 2003, 11:33 PM
Well, some of the usual suspects, but some unexpected ones as well.:D

I only put Matrix along with Citizen Kane to illustrate that I wasn't just talking about older movies.;)

Good list so far, but what about Apocalypse Now? could that be considered a classic?

kegasaurus
July 17th, 2003, 03:01 AM
The Good the bad and the ugly, Sergio Leone was the greatest director of all tiem.

Psycho, chilling.

Agree with most of the above but I think I enjoy the cult Classics more than the classics. The Rocky Horror Picture Show and the Blues Brothers being two notables.

Kaz
July 17th, 2003, 03:24 AM
Erm, ye've already listed a few of my favourites (Citizen Kane, Shawshank Redemption, Usual Suspects, Bridge on the River Kwai, Apocolypse Now, Godfather, Lawrence of Arabia)

I'd add The Dirty Dozen, Grease (musical genre - it broke new ground), Ben Hur, Out of Africa, Born Free, Breakfast at Tiffany's, The Breakfast Club

(more to follow, I need to put on my thinking cap)

Kaz
July 17th, 2003, 03:42 AM
OK, here are some more, I'll post the ones I like best for various reasons (won't bore you with the reasons though):

All about Eve
Bonnie and Clyde
An American Werewolf in Paris (call me crazy)
Dr Strangelove
The Graduate
Midnight Cowboy
North by Northwest
The Birds
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Raging Bull
Philadelphia
Rebel Without A Cause
Schindler's List
Taxi Driver
Some Like It Hot