PDA

View Full Version : Back from the dead

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Shannon
July 18th, 2003, 09:46 AM
G'day all. I've just returned to the world of writing after having spent the last six months living the life of the undead in the public service.
So at the mo i'm just trying to get myself back in the groove and was wondering if anyone has any tips for getting back into writing, as opposed to getting into, coz i've already got a whole shiteload of material. I'm just lost as to where I was when I left.
Anyways, I've just posted another story. It's called the Creation Archives, i'd appreciate any feed back if anyone can be bothered.

Cheers

juzzza
July 18th, 2003, 11:35 AM
What is your author name so members who fancy reading and giving feedback can find it?

Shannon
July 19th, 2003, 12:48 AM
All my stories are under my name Shannon Ryan. And once again any feedback would be much appreciated.

choppy
July 19th, 2003, 03:27 AM
Hi Shannon,

I just read Snooks and Snarks. I'm assuming Creation Archives is still in the "sensor buffer."

Anyway, I thought this was a neat little story that reminded me of the kind of fairy tale I read as a child. There was a moral and everything, and this came across very clear. The opening hinted a little of Douglas Adam's style, but I think you have your own voice as a writer.

There is a lot of information thrown at the reader in the beginning, which is usually a sign of "info dumping," but I think this worked okay.

You had a few minor grammar problems (such as oscillating between frog and Frog), but nothing that I really stumbled over.

I'd really encourage you to keep writing. Getting back into it can be tough, but if you're feeling the urge, it's probably the right time. Look over some of your old stuff, plan out some new things and set some small goals for yourself. As you start to accomplish these goals, you can set larger ones.

Cheers!