PDA

View Full Version : Driven to Distraction

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Lucky Joe
July 20th, 2003, 06:49 AM
I find there are all sorts of distractions that get in the way of my writting, social life, work, family, t.v, games, to mention just a few.

I know I could insult all of my friends, tell my boss what I think of them and smash the t.v but these seem like farily radical solutions to the problem. I've just deleted Civilisation from my computer because no matter how much I tell myself I'll only play for an hour I end up spending way to long on it and have no time left for the things i actually want to get done.

So what techniques have people developed to combat this problem - or is it just me and I need to toughen up and get on with it?

Bear
July 20th, 2003, 01:06 PM
My solution to a similar problem was cutting back on all the social activities. In order to slavage more writing time, I stopped going out so much. These days, two nights a week is my max. In most cases, I'll only go out once.

As for work, I'm really good at being broke, so if I want the time, I work just enough to pay the bills and not starve. I won't have any luxuries. . . though, that's not entirely true. Time spent doing something I love is a luxury within in itself.

And with videogames (another vice of mine), I stopped playing so many at once. Now I focus on one at a time and don't play for more than an hour or two, if at all. And a trick for overplaying, I do it right before bed. Then I'm more inclined to get off so that I'm not dead the next day.

But really, if you want to write, you'll work something out. Just assess your situation and find some small solutions to free up time.

Lucky Joe
July 21st, 2003, 05:55 AM
Not playing video games until an hour or so before bed is actually a pretty good idea, it just means I'll stay up late and be knackered for work but that's okay I only need half a brain to do my job anyway...now did I empty the trash on my desktop or is Civ still sitting in there?

Generally I'm pretty good though, but I guess I always want to do more and more, no matter how much I'm doing. The biggest problem I have is working on a PC all day, coming home and jumping straight on the computer here isn't so great. I'd love to work part time but I'm still paying off an overseas trip I went on last year so I only have myself to blame really. I guess that's the problem with wanting everything.

Pollux V
July 21st, 2003, 09:53 AM
I know what you mean, man. Civ 3 has occupied me the entire summer...I hadn't played it for months, then I started up again, now I'm hooked. I think that the current game I'm playing is going to be my last one, researched all the technologies, merely working on dominating the world. Can only have a cultural/domination victory. That sort of thing really takes it out of ya.

Since school is out for the whole summer I deemed this summer the "verano de escribiendo" which if memory serves means "summer of writing." Can't say that I've written that much, though...