PDA

View Full Version : Total War

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

flintorama
July 20th, 2003, 07:55 PM
Anyone here playing any of the Total War series? I think they are simply the greatest games ever invented! I am having some trouble with rebellions right now (who isn't) but am learning more and more as I go.

The new Rome one looks stunning, and I heard the requirments to play are going to be less then MTW!?

milamber_reborn
July 20th, 2003, 11:46 PM
Played Medieval on a friend's PC and it's pretty fun. Just borrowed Shogun off him, but haven't played it yet.

With a good scalable engine, Rome should have modest system requirements, but for the new 3D eye candy you need a Geforce 3, 4Ti or FX/Radeon.

kahnovitch
July 21st, 2003, 09:02 AM
I've played the original Shogun game almost to death.
IMO the best RTS war game in existence.

BTW if you have a lot of provinces going into rebellion try either lowering you tax rate a little, or leaving a unit of troops in the troublesome provinvces in question.

milamber_reborn
July 23rd, 2003, 12:06 AM
Just started playing Shogun. Would be playing Medieval if my PC wasn't so ancient.

Loras Tyrell
November 17th, 2003, 07:07 AM
Just borrowed Medieval: Total War from my flat-mate, after having drooled at it for a long time, but hesitating to buy it due to my hatred for RTS (I hate trying to click something with the mouse and move it, and WHY ARE MY UNITS COMMITTING SUICIDE??? and then the wrong units are selected, so now your workers are running up to spearhead your attack...), but I am definitely hooked. University... ah, has a nice ring to it... if I could only remember what on the flat surface of the earth it was...

Currently playing my first game as Almohads on Very Easy, and I now control all of northern Africa, the Iberian peninsula, and all of latter-day France and Germany, and I've just taken Syria from the Turks. The Pope has commanded all catholic factions to wage war on me (thankfully, so far they don't seem to be listening), and rebellions threaten to break out over large parts of my empire. So now I'm stationing large armies in Portugal and Swabia, and building mosques like it's going out of fashion. It's so unbelievably cool.

Not to mention the battles. I can't even begin to describe them. I do love my cavalry, though.

But I don't even want to think about how hard this game must be on the hardest diff. I mean, very easy has, in fact, been very easy, as I've only lost one battle so far and have yet to fail a conquest, but still, I'm barely preventing riots and I have a feeling that my battle tactics may be more than a little flawed.

Anyways, probably going to get the Viking expansion (I am Norwegian, so this should be a home run), and definitely R:TW when that hits the shelves, currently scheduled for Q4 04.

Greetings
Artaxiad

kahnovitch
November 17th, 2003, 07:19 AM
I love this series more than anything else I have ever played.
What a fantastic engine they use for it.

The one minor beef I have is the expansion packs.
I do think they are a great idea, but the buggers cost as much as the original games, and from what I can tell (although I may be wrong) they aren't really expansion packs at all, but stand alone games that don't require the original to run. (which would explain why they cost as much.) :o

But why not have an "expansion" pack version for all of us who do own the original and don't want to pay top whack for the game we already own plus an extra scenario?

bigbry
November 23rd, 2003, 01:24 PM
An excellent excellent game, once you have mastered Medievil........get the Vikings Expansion pack...AWESOME......

The campaign map is of England and Ireland only with 2 Viking Providences........playing Viking/Hard right now.....