View Full Version : skip

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

lior
June 29th, 2001, 03:28 PM
When certain readers get to a boring/slow part in a book, they skip it and move on.
I myself never does that ( except maybe poems),I feel it compromises the reading. usually, if the book is very boring, I'll just leave it altogether.
what do you do when a book starts to bog you down, do you skip parts? what is your breaking point, how much pages will you read in a bad book before quitting?
I especially don't understand those who skip the dialog to get to the action scenes, or skipping the description to get to the dialog, I just see a book as a package deal:if I like it, I read it with no skipping, and if I don't, then I don't read it at all!

[This message has been edited by lior (edited June 29, 2001).]

Gamlemshagen
June 29th, 2001, 05:14 PM
I did it when i tried to read Feersum endjinn (or something like that) by Iain banks. I got a headache whenever I tried to read the phonetic parts.

Zsinj16
June 30th, 2001, 05:38 AM
I have mentioned this several times, but since this topic has been started I'll mention it again. If there's a book I plan to read, then no matter how boring or slow it gets, I never abandon reading it, I stick through it to the bitter end.

Bardos
June 30th, 2001, 07:36 AM
Me too, usually --except if it is VERY boring.

Zsinj16
June 30th, 2001, 08:57 AM
Could you possibly give us an example of a super-boring book, Bardos?

[This message has been edited by Zsinj16 (edited June 30, 2001).]

MajicK
July 4th, 2001, 01:51 AM
I will never skip a part of any book. This is a reason why I am horrible at studying out of textbooks. I have never learned the art of skimming and will spend too much time on useless information. I can be horribly aggravated to pick up a book (especially a thick book!)to read only to find out it is horrible...because I WILL continue to read it. It's a disease...help me.

Zsinj16
July 4th, 2001, 03:20 PM
Majick, don't worry about your disease any more, I just contacted the local asylum, and the white-coated guys are on their way! http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/smile.gif LOL

Cadfael
July 4th, 2001, 07:30 PM
I must say I am bemused by this, if I feel I need to skip pages b/c I am not enjoying the the story... I will bin the book, or give it away.

Shehzad
July 5th, 2001, 02:07 AM
Well, I seem to have developed a knack for skimming through a book at high speed and picking up only the relevent info - of course I only use that for textbooks and particularly boring books.

MajicK
July 5th, 2001, 08:48 PM
I wish those men would hurry up!
ohhh...the voices...the voices http://www.sffworld.com/ubb/smile.gif