PDA

View Full Version : Which do I buy? PS2 or Xbox?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Evil Agent
July 28th, 2003, 05:56 PM
Hey guys. So I'm thinking about buying my first video game console in YEARS....

I am torn between PS2 and Xbox. I've read many online reviews, so I know the main differences:

PS2 - Best selection of games, small and sleek. I'd have to buy a memory card.

XBOX - Best graphics and sound, but big and bulky, with big bulky controls. It's got a harddrive which means I don't have to buy a memory card, but apparently the harddrive crashes.

Any other input? Just HOW much better are the graphics and gameplay? And just HOW much better IS ps2's selection these days? It's so confusing, I really have no idea which one to go with...To give you an idea of what I'm into, I'm not a HUGE gamer. I'd like to play LOTR:The Two Towers, and maybe some RPGs.

Bear
July 28th, 2003, 07:23 PM
Personally, I prefer the Gamecube over both of those, but I'm definitely a minority in that. Anyway. Do you plan on playing online, or do you enjoy First Person Shooters? If so, go x-box. If you prefer rpg's, ps2 has the biggest selection of those.

But I'm probably not the best source for all this. I mainly play PC games these days.

Carmichael
July 28th, 2003, 07:26 PM
I have a PS2 myself. Decided on it mainly because it has a much larger selection of titles. And I didn't like the controllers for the XBox. Like you said, big and bulky. I've only seen a couple of titles on XBox that interest me, while the list for PS2...... I'd rather put up witha the 25 dollar memory card than deal with a machine whose harddrive crashes alot. IMO.

Evil Agent
July 28th, 2003, 08:06 PM
Yeah, good point. The hard drive is convenient, but really it'd be nice to just have a little card instead.

But how about the loading times and stuff? I just talked to someone at my work who swears by Xbox, and said that the load times on PS2 are horrendous.

Personally, I'm kind of leaning towards PS2, but people are doing a good job of arguing in favor of Xbox... Maybe I should go look at a demo somewhere and see how much better the graphics actually are.

Carmichael
July 28th, 2003, 08:13 PM
For the most part, every game I've saved to my card has taken about 10-15 seconds to load into memory. Gran Turismo 3 takes even less. As does Bounty Hunter. The major complaint I have is some of the companies like to put half a dozen splash screens between the start and the opening screen. Castle Wolfenstien does this. Drives me insane.

milamber_reborn
July 28th, 2003, 11:07 PM
Price cuts on the horizon, so take that into account.

They're squeezing the PS2 for all its worth (ie. Splinter Cell), and in the beginning everyone bought it for the games.

Now the X-Box has plenty of great games, X-Box Live, and superior graphics. Buy a small-size controller and you're set.

Also, check any good review site like Gamespy, and check out multi-platform games. X-Box version almost always rates higher than Gamecube and PS2 versions. So if you play multi-platform games a lot, then X-Box is better.

Anyway, PS3 is gonna be awesome, so by Microsoft now, Sony in a few years.

Evil Agent
July 29th, 2003, 12:03 AM
Thanks dudes.
After all I've read, I think I've been swayed from PS2 to Xbox. Glad I didn't impulse buy a PS2 today (I nearly did, before I researched it a bit). Also, the multi platform thing (does that mean it's available on more than one system?) sounds true. Xbox versions do sound better.

About price cuts, right now I can get either system for $250 Canadian, and the Xbox one comes with the small control! for an extra $30 it comes with Halo and some snowboard game.

Lifino
July 29th, 2003, 12:16 AM
I've been thinking of splurging and upgrading to one of these systems... I think that, seeing as it is soooo late in the product cycle, it's worth going through Ebay.

That is what I did when I got my Sega DreamCast. For next to nothing, I got the system, with two controlers, light gun, two big memory packs, a rumble pack, and literally every game that was attracting me to the system at that time. No headache in the purchase, and all went smooth... Now it collects dust.

If I step up to a PS2 / Xbox I think I'd go with Ebay again. I know I've seen people selling complete sets with most the games I'd buy, plus extra controlers and memory, all for less than the $170 they are asking at the stores right now...

Just a suggestion for when it comes time to buy.

DarthV
July 29th, 2003, 07:18 AM
The Xbox has been shipping witht he controller-s since beforce Christmas, so controller size shouldn't be an issue anymore.

Evil Agent
July 29th, 2003, 10:41 AM
I tried looking around on Ebay about a year ago, and it seemed like too much work! Bidding on items, not necessarily getting them, and all the shipping charges for sending it to Canada... I might have just been lazy though, I guess.

But buying it new allows me to get 2 years replacement warranty on it.