PDA

View Full Version : Lions of Al-Rassan or Song for Arbonne next?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Dystran Hart
July 30th, 2003, 05:54 PM
Read Tigana, LOVED it!

Now I will read Lions of Al-Rassayan and a song for Arbonne (in between Steven Erikson that i'm now reading and I posted about a few days ago). Thinng is, although ive read each novels synopsis i really could not tell the type of novel that they are going to be.

Just wondered about the main differences or these two books? (possibily in relation to Tigana perhaps). Anyone have any comments as to their favourite of Rassan and Arbonne - and which key positives are relating to each novel? (ie which has more action/character dialogue/plot/suspense etc)

Any help appreciated

Thanks
Gavin

Duccius
July 30th, 2003, 06:11 PM
I am reading 'A Song For Arbonne' myself at the moment. I have been told that this is the weakest book of the two, so I figure that by reading it first I will appreciate 'Lions' all the more.

If 'Arbonne' IS the weakest book, Lions must be pretty damned good!!! Because 'Arbonne' is a bloody good read, long time since I read a page turner like this!

Nevyn
July 31st, 2003, 02:02 AM
Duccius has summed it up well !!
Read them in the published order ( Arbonne first ) and you won't be dissapointed. Kay is brilliant in prose and story :D

alan empty
July 31st, 2003, 07:22 AM
I enjoyed them both.

Arbonne is a bit more of a romantic, melancholic novel from what I remember. I loved it - possibly my favourite Kay novel. It's probably a more straightforward book so you might prefer that after Erikson. I've been intending to re-read it for a while.

Rassan has more political intrigue. Follows the paths of a number of individuals and the impact upon them of ambition & friendship. Like a lot of Kay's work it seems like a historical novel. Echoes of Spanish medieval history and the Moors (I think - don't know anything about this era of history!).

I found both of them incredibly sad. But in a nice way :)

Iskaral Pust
July 31st, 2003, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by Nevyn
Duccius has summed it up well !!
Read them in the published order ( Arbonne first ) and you won't be dissapointed. Kay is brilliant in prose and story :D

Is it some sort of series, I have Lions' at home, but should I wait until I get the other one before I read it?

alan empty
July 31st, 2003, 04:35 PM
No, there's no connection between the books at all. I think Nevyn recommends the published order because you can see Kay's style and themes develop.

His novels are getting less-action based, more philosophical each time. Not that he was ever David Gemmel :)

Giarc
July 31st, 2003, 05:58 PM
I tend to concur with those who consider Song for Arbonne GGK's weakest work...however, that's a purely relative assessment. By other standards it's a masterpiece. Lions of Al Rassan is vying with the Sarantium books as my favourite. It features one of the most gut-clenching duels I've ever read, and then GGK toys with you for the follwing 30 pages or so like a cat with a fidgety mouse. Infuriating. Agonising. Wonderful :)

SusF
July 31st, 2003, 10:41 PM
I read Lions a few months ago. It was brilliant. Very good story, wonderful characters. I LOVE Kay's characters.

Have not read the other one. Working my way through the Sarantine Mosaic series right now.

Susan

Bear
August 1st, 2003, 03:21 AM
Al-Rassan is my favorite from Kay. Quite good, if a little slow at times. Haven't read Arbonne yet, but if it's his worst work, I don't think I'll like it. The Summer Tree was pretty damn weak, IMO, so if it's worse than that, I don't know how patient I'll be.

Nevyn
August 1st, 2003, 06:34 AM
Originally posted by Bear
Haven't read Arbonne yet, but if it's his worst work, I don't think I'll like it. "Weakest" was the term used , I believe this to be on more of an emotive level in any case !The quality of story and writing is still the same .

alan empty , that is exactly what I meant :) . It is not necessary to read them in any order but it is pleasurable to note Kay getting better with each book . There is one very small detail linking all his books , that if it wasn't pointed out to me I would have missed , fionavar is mentioned in all of his books as another realm the one true world (thanks estranghero) :D