PDA

View Full Version : Best fight/action scene?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Stark Direwolf
August 1st, 2003, 01:17 PM
I was just watching the Matrix reloaded (just meaning watching it over and over for like 6 times :-) and I have come to the realization that this movie has some of the best fight scenes I have ever seen. Neo vs the Agent Smiths has set the pace for inovative action secquences and hollywood/rest of the film making world will be hard pressed to keep up. Likewise the freeway sequence is astounding. I remember when I watched it in the cinema my jaw dropped right to the floor... Ive never been so impressed. A short second in car chase scenes would be the terminator 3 truck scene which was also quite original in what they did. Ronin is a distant 3rd for car chases.

What action type scenes stand out in your mind?

Also with all these great characters in the movie world which would you like see meet for a rumble? Darth maul vs the t1000 maybe? The twins taking Blade on? I wonder who would win?

edited to include the nightcrawler scene at the start of xmen 2 - that was tops!

Evil Agent
August 1st, 2003, 11:06 PM
I'm all about the fight scenes.

Obi Wan and Qui Gonn vs. Darth Maul
Yoda vs. Count Dooku/Darth Tyrannus
Luke vs. Darth

I always thought that the scene in Matrix Reloaded where Neo fights 100 Smiths was the best scene in the movie. A lot of people trashed it, for poor effects, but I don't think the effects are the point. It's the cinematography... And the part where he rips out a street pole and starts bashing them with it!!!

I also thought the chase scene in T3 was pretty impressive. I kep kind of thinking it was over, and then there would be just more and more... Pretty good stuff.

Kaz
August 2nd, 2003, 03:01 AM
I loved Bruce Willis in Die Hard, especially the scene where he fights Hans, the terrorist leader & throws him out of the window. Also, when he disarms the bomb & gets to kick Karl's backside from here to eternity.

Another firm favourite is Braveheart, notably the scene where the Scots take on the English in that awesome battlecharge - lots of blood, guts & glory.

Saving Private Ryan - the closing battle and the part with the knife being driven into the guy's heart, I can't watch that scene without having my hands in front of my face because I find it so appaling yet fascinating. Also the opening scene with the beach landing - set the pace for a film of epic proportions.

Blade I - excellent action / fight scenes from start to finish: in the underground club with the blood pouring from the roof, then Blade facing that little girl in the Vampire library and of course the end battle. I love the way martial arts are combined with sword fighting & good ol' 20th century shoot outs.

Rocky - some of the best boxing scenes in film history IMO, well at least the one where Rocky & Apollo Creed meet up.

Gladiator had some fantastic fights in as well, I loved the bit where Russel Crowe takes on Jacquin Phoenix & kicks his emperial cahoona.

Fight Club - all of it, seriously - few things compare to the gritty fist fighting here. And then of course Edward Norton literally blowing Brad Pitt out of his mind while watching the banks in the city being obliterated.

Jet Li vs the Japanese in their own dojo in the second fight scene in Fist of Legend. And again Jet Li in Romeo must Die, the fight in the garden and his prison break.

I'm a sucker for Jackie Chan fight scenes, the man is just such a master, I'm not just referring to his work in American film, but also the Hong Kong movies. Even when doing comical work, like in Rush Hour or Shangai Noon his execution of martial arts is so precise, it makes for brilliant scenes. One of his best must have been in Drunken Master II.

Bruce Lee in any action scene was outstanding. I loved Enter the Dragon, with all the fights from the tournament and with Lee taking it to another dimension after hours when he breaks into the fortress and makes mince meat of anyone who gets in his way.

Charlies Angels & Tomb Raider - simply because I like seeing girls kick butt.

saintjon
August 2nd, 2003, 09:32 AM
The end of the Cowboy Bebop movie was one of the best fight scenes ever.

Maybe not an actual fight per se, the hurting the Hansen brothers lay on the opposing team the first time they take the ice in Slapshot was too golden.

Road House had some pretty good fights.

T2 is the best for fight scenes with guns IMO.

Dominus
August 2nd, 2003, 03:13 PM
The Bad Boys II car chase scene with the Jamaicans. Very cool.

Khallandra
August 3rd, 2003, 12:34 AM
I liked the Lui Kang vs Shang Tsung in MK
The chase at the beginning of T3 was really kewl - they destoryed EVERYTHING

When Aragorn cuts off Lurtz's arm then head :D

Ouroboros
August 3rd, 2003, 12:12 PM
For a realistic picture of what fighting really looks like, few films come close to the New Zealand movie Once were warriors, and it's sequel What becomes of the broken hearted.

It's all in there: sudden, non-telegraphic vicious and relentless violence... Not reciprocal artsy fantasy fighting like what comes out of hong kong and hollywood. Everything in the environment is used, from bottles to jukeboxes. Whoever choreographed the various bar fights and beatings really knows his stuff.

Recent films The Bourne Identity and The Hunted are also notable in that both showcased Fillipino and SE asian martial arts. Pretty good, but a little bit flowery (the director wanted to elongate and make obvious things for the audience, according to the technical advisors).

----

A lot of chinese-made kung fu films depict really high quality wushu. Definitley martial art rather than fighting, but it's easy on the eye and impressively athletic. Some of Jackie chan's snake kung fu movies are also pretty good ... sort of before his incarnation as stunt god (I think).

----

For movies with fight scenes you can laugh your ass off at, there's always the American ninja movies. Ho ho ho. I wanted to be a ninja so badly when I saw those ....

Eurytus
August 4th, 2003, 10:49 AM
For me the Neo versus Agent Smiths fight in Matrix Reloaded is a very poor example of a fight.
Yes, it looks good and I am sure that it looked cool too.

But it is an example of a fight solely put in the film to look 'cool'. It achieves no other purpose. Neither hero not villain actually achieves anything from the fight. Neo could have flown away right at the beginning and spared us from 10 minutes of repetitive action.
Quite apart from the fact that the Neo we saw at the end of the first film would not have needed to fight Smith with Kung Fu at all.

The Yoda versus Dooku fight was also a personal low point. If I had wanted to see what Kermit would do with a cattle prod up his arse then I guess I now know.
However this fight scene was not only laughable in appearance, it totally devalued the Yoda character. From the original films you always had the impression that Yoda had reached such a level of force mastery that he did not NEED to fight. The same is true of the Emperor.
I swear that if both of them start doing flips and crap in the next film I will implode.

A fight I did like was Sean Connery versus Robert Shaw in From Russia with Love.
Hard and uncompromising and you get the impression that either man would do anything to the other to defeat him. Nice and brutal and realistic.

Many of the fights in Iron Monkey are pretty good, as are the ones in Legend of Fong Sai Yuk.
Of course Bruce Lee's films had great fights because the moves seemed to carry real weight.

Boromir's last fight in FOTR was great. One of the only times I can remember when a character in a blockbuster film felt in real danger.

And the 2 women fighting with an assortment of weapons in Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon.

Last but not least, the opening fight in Brotherhood of the Wolf. Gotta love those moody rain shots.

Iskaral Pust
August 9th, 2003, 06:31 AM
Everything from Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon. And there´re some pretty astounding fights in a little know si-fi film called Equlibrium.

TIPoP 0.141
August 9th, 2003, 01:57 PM
I thought the fight between Neo and the 100 Agent Smiths was a bit ridiculous. The fight between Neo and the various henchmen of the Merovingian was far better.

Vote for best fight goes to the fight in the gymnasium in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon between Michelle Yeoh and Zhiang Zimou (sp?).