View Full Version : THE Writing Software thread

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Rocket Sheep
August 2nd, 2003, 10:36 PM
I've been wondering about this stuff for a while.

Does anyone use it? How do they use it? How good is it?

I found a free download (http://www.ravensheadservices.com/download.htm) but it's not quite as intelligent as I thought it might be but since you get what you pay for I was wondering if anyone had a swisher version of writing software.

Personally, I have problems with pacing and plotting and I was hoping for something that could put my pacing into some followable outline and perhaps generate random plot twists given some information... but then if writing were that easy, I suppose everyone would be doing it.

When you think about the books the world already knows... it seems there is no magic (or CG) formula to writing and it is just foolishness to hope that there is.

An8el
August 3rd, 2003, 04:14 AM
I'm not at my home now, but I used to have a link somewhere about a screenwriting software. It's very cool genre to look around for what you're asking about.

Screenwriting is intensely codified, so it's most handy in the outlining stage of any story, IMHO. Got to play around with it at a friend's house, so that's how I got so impressed. It's maybe good for more than that, but that's what I got to explore in those couple of hours I had to mess with the program.

Erebus
August 3rd, 2003, 08:22 AM
For many years now I have been using Datawrap's Manuscriptus software. It combines with MS Word and I find it very easy to use and most helpful.

Pluvious
August 3rd, 2003, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Erebus
For many years now I have been using Datawrap's Manuscriptus software. It combines with MS Word and I find it very easy to use and most helpful.

Would you mind elaborating a little? What does it do? How do you use it? Thanks.

Erebus
August 3rd, 2003, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by Pluvious

Would you mind elaborating a little? What does it do? How do you use it? Thanks.

Sure...As I said, it integrates with MS Word adding in some new tool bars and automatically formats your manuscript into an industry standard format using data that you input yourself to customise various details such as name, pen name etc. You can also create separate files for Scenes, Plots and Rolls etc. It even has a manuscript submission tracking function.

The DataWrap Web Site (http://www.datawrap.com/product.asp?dept%5Fid=2&pf%5Fid=2) has some more info.

Rocket Sheep
August 3rd, 2003, 11:07 PM
That free demo, I've linked in the first post, generates boring characters and events and ideas. Do you use anything like that Erebus? Is it better?

Or do you only use it for layout and tracking?

Rocket Sheep
August 3rd, 2003, 11:16 PM
An8el says there is one for screenwriting. Looking at the demo which has a name generator etc., I would think there would probably be addons you could get for say fantasy names and characters or futuristic tales. The fantasy quest wheel is so formulated it might even be outlined.

I'm wondering if anyone has tried these extra features and how they found them.

Erebus
August 4th, 2003, 02:47 AM
Originally posted by Rocket Sheep
That free demo, I've linked in the first post, generates boring characters and events and ideas. Do you use anything like that Erebus? Is it better?

Or do you only use it for layout and tracking?

I just use Manuscriptus, mostly for when I'm writing and for ensuring a good industry standard format right from page 1. Don't use the other bells and whistles much though, nor any other purpose-built software.

An8el
August 4th, 2003, 08:11 AM
I think that it was called Quickplot, but here's a selection (http://www.filmmakingbooks.com/free_software.htm) of various ones described. These are all freeware, but some of them are more complete than others.

Rocket Sheep
August 4th, 2003, 08:44 AM
Good list, An8el,

But this bit made me giggle: If you're like most people, you can't just sit down at your computer, type out a finished story in one sitting and move on to the next one.

Gee, really?