View Full Version : Shopping for a Gaming Computer

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

dgg
August 3rd, 2003, 02:35 PM
Dell, Alienware, Puget (http://www.pugetsystems.com).

Anyone have any experience with Reseller Ratings? Puget has a pretty good name there, even better than Alienware. Any feedback asap would be appreciated.

TIA

Bear
August 3rd, 2003, 08:01 PM
First of all, Alienware is grossly overpriced. Sure, they build nice computers, but I don't recommend them unless money just isn't an issue.

I've heard lots of good things about Puget, but I've never used one. So I can't offer any first-hand advice.

Dell makes surprisingly good pc's, considering their "mass market" approach. Their system's are solid, their customer support is good, they're reliable. One of the major problems with them, though (at least, this is how they used to be) is that they do everything in their power to make upgrading a pain in the bum. Something to look into. But if you want to go Dell, now is a pretty good time. They're very competitive at the moment, so you can get a nice gaming machine for not too much money.

One more place to check out if you want to go custom is:

http://www.ibuypower.com/mall/lobby.htm

ibuypower.com usually has great deals if you know exactly what you want. But if you don't know very much about computers, custom builds might not be the best way to go. The warranties and service aren't as good as a lot of the big guys.

trentdick2882
August 3rd, 2003, 08:31 PM
i had a horrible horrible horrible experience with alienware. they sent me a computer broken, and i sent it back 3 times and they never fixed a thing in it. then, when i finally told them i just wanted to return it, they were going to charge me a 1000 dollar restocking fee. so i had to go to the better business bureau and get them to make alienware refund my money.

Bear
August 3rd, 2003, 11:08 PM
Another reason to avoid them. And seriously, you could build the same damn computer for half of what they charge. Poo on them. Go back to whatever planet your from.

milamber_reborn
August 3rd, 2003, 11:25 PM
Never buy a package deal. They stiff you with crap videocards/soundcards etc. and bundle useless software.

Buy the parts and put together a custom machine. What's your budget?

kahnovitch
August 4th, 2003, 04:23 AM
Originally posted by Bear
Another reason to avoid them. And seriously, you could build the same damn computer for half of what they charge. Poo on them. Go back to whatever planet your from.

Originally posted by milamber_reborn
Never buy a package deal. They stiff you with crap videocards/soundcards etc. and bundle useless software.

Buy the parts and put together a custom machine. What's your budget?

I couldn't agree more with those statements.
I got a quote from Dell for a top system (for it's time about 3 years ago) at 1700.
A friend of mine put together a better system for 1054.
Also packaged systems allow for vey little upgrading. The BIOS is usually designed for this effect, and the graphics and sound and even CPU are sometimes "onboard" so you can't change them.
You end up having to buy an entire new system if you want to upgrade at a later date, and with computer technology advancing at the speed it is, you'l want something more upgrade-friendly.

DarthV
August 4th, 2003, 09:48 AM
For the most part, the base computers at Dell, and most other e-tailers, are decent deals, but they charge a large premium for upgrades and extras. The usually charge close to 2 times the online price for extra memory, larger hard drives and other addons. If you can't build your own computer, most everybody online now would have local friends that will help..go that route...you'll save a lot of money.

Dominus
August 4th, 2003, 06:02 PM
If money wasn't an issue, go for a Falcon Northwest, but if it is, and you want to have more fun, just build your own computer, you can make it cheaper, cooler, plus it's more satisfying to do it yourself.

milamber_reborn
August 4th, 2003, 11:42 PM
dgg - give us a budget and we can put one together right here, hypothetically.

Loras Tyrell
August 5th, 2003, 10:22 AM
Gamespy have been doing a couple of features on building the Ultimate Gaming Rig as well as a Budget Gaming Rig. http://www.gamespy.com/hardware/june03/ugm/part4/index7.shtml

From here you can find both the "old" and the "new" Ultimate Gaming rigs and the budget gaming rig as well.

I'm currently considering the new ultimate gaming rig myself. If anyone have any comments or objections, I'd love to hear them. Also, I live in Norway(northern europe), and some of the components cost a lot more here and some are hard to acquire. Do most american online sellers deliver overseas? And if so, will the shipping costs exceed what I might save when comparing prices directly?

Example: Gamespy lists the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 256 MB at $499. The cheapest I've found in Norway lies around $680.

All answers appreciated.

Greetings
Artaxiad