View Full Version : Shameless Plugging Time

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Hellsfire
August 5th, 2003, 05:00 AM
I'm not sure if this belongs in here but you can move it if you want. I have a new website as to which to display my writing, although there is other stuff there too. If you wanna check it out go to www.hellsfire.net

Rocket Sheep
August 11th, 2003, 07:34 AM
Hmmm, very professional looking site. I like it.

Mine is much less professional... I made it myself... manually... you know... typing in the code one character at a time.

But since I think every writing board needs a shameless plugging thread (I'm not the moderator in here so that counts for zilch) and since I had a book hit the shelves last week, I thought I'd just send people off to look at the cover and tell me how cute it is... hey... someone has to write the fantasy and science fiction for the beginning readers.

LOOK HERE (http://members.optushome.com.au/brenmacd/books.htm) :D

Anyone else got some shameless plugging before the mods catch us?

Lucky Joe
August 11th, 2003, 09:31 AM
Both sites look great.

And as you asked, :D I have a book coming out with Equilibrium Books this month.

Take a look at my website www.leecarlon.com (http://www.leecarlon.com) and let me know what you think. (or not) :D

And if you're interested I've got the first couple of chapters up on the site so feel free to have a read.

Hellsfire
August 11th, 2003, 02:02 PM
I feel left out as I'm the only one without a published book. You both have good sites but if you want to spice it up http://www.melninvisions.com can help you for a reasonably cheap price. I had to get one more plug in.

Rocket, the kid's books look good and if I had a kid, nephew, or niece I'd probably buy one.

Lucky, your book sounds interesting but I haven't had time to read any samples yet. When I do, I'll probably let you know what I think.

Rocket Sheep
August 12th, 2003, 05:59 AM
Marc, I justify my webpage by the cost and the loading time... I don't actually attempt to sell anything thru it so I think basic html will do me for a while. Maybe if I turn into a millionaire overnight I'll go professional...

Interesting prologue Lee. I have a publisher interested in a cautionary tale of mine... starts off in a similar vein but I have wrecked the bones of the story and spoiled the sense of urgency... just the basics really. Since you've made yours work, do you have any plotting advice you can share?

Lucky Joe
August 13th, 2003, 02:24 AM
Thanks for taking a look, the site is fairly basic I know, but I really just wanted something that lets people take a look at the book if they're interested and to be honest I'm happy with it as it is. I might add more as time goes by...

Rocket; were you thinking of anything in particular? I be more than happy to offer advice - but you'll have to decide for yourself if it's any good :D

juzzza
August 13th, 2003, 03:31 AM
Hmmmm, how close my finger came to pressing the 'close thread' button...

What saved you, is that a few older members decided to drop a few plugs and then before you know what's happening, you start talking about writing.

I'm watching you.

If you do want to plug your success, use the sticky threads 'What are you working on' or 'Submission Tracking'.

Rocket Sheep
August 14th, 2003, 05:16 AM
But Juzza... I haven't worked on that story for a year! Besides I just wanted to show off the cover. My stuff is hard to get overseas.

Lee, I like basic... I mean it all depends on your market... if people just want information and it is a non-tech industry, basic is the best... you have to consider they may be accessing your website with old computers and slow download times. Razzle dazzle great for those who need to show off high tech stuff.

Now the problem I have is that the protag is writing the tale as a warning to others but obviously nothing can happen to her midway thru the story or the text would just stop... ludicrous... I should read your fist chapters to see if you have other pov's. I don't. Perhaps I should. Am I rambling too fast? Anyway, it comes to a crux near the end so she sits down and writes everything that lead up to the crux since she doesn't know if she is going to survive the crux. What is a crux exactly? But to write everything to inform a reader in an acceptable format means that the story slows down and loses its sense of urgency. Now... I thought to get around this problem I needed someone else to find the story perhaps in suspicious circumstances so then the first person of the protag is actually someone else's discovery and then anything could happen, no one knows if the story is all there or if the protag really did bite the dust...

Er... perhaps it would be easier if you told me how you tackled the subject and I thought about it quietly somewhere where I couldn't confuse people?

Lucky Joe
August 14th, 2003, 06:07 AM
Rocket; I guess it depends on several things, from what you've said you could have somebody find the protagonist's work and read through it, that way you could get around her not surviving (or even revealing if she survives or not), and have the person who found the work follow in her footsteps to discover what happened.

I only had the one pov - he tells you in the prologue that he's looking back over his life and goes from there. He also tells you that he sees writing it as a way of repenting the sins he's committed, so you kinda know from the offset that whatever happens he's survived long enough to get it down on paper.

The thing that I found tricky was making sure I didn't let him give away too much of what was to come and just focusing on the events as they were taking place in the narrative - I had to edit heaps of stuff from the first draft for this reason, originally he was dropping lines every other paragraph about the way things turned out and it made it sound forced and melodramatic, and read like a cheap attempt to draw the reader in without doing the real work. He still throws in the odd comment but hopefully I found the balance between not overdoing it and making it interesting.

Hope this helps. :D

Rocket Sheep
August 14th, 2003, 07:19 AM
Ahhhh, exactly, I'm forcing the sense of urgency. That is why it isn't working! Wonderful news... well not really... it just means that I have a whole story hanging on a fragmented skeleton... I hate it when I fup the bones!

Thanks for your help. These are the things you can only learn by trial and error aren't they?