View Full Version : Hyperion Movie

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : 1 [2]

Hobbit
August 14th, 2003, 08:06 AM
I think my opinion is that Leo is so unlike the character of Saul as I think of him in the book. The character of Raul I have always thought of as an older man, perhaps late 30's and 40's (always difficult to tell with these rejuvination techniques!) a trained soldier figure, not physically attractive but competent at what he does/has to do, and a wealth of experience. He has been places and seen things, yet is someone who can merge into the background when the situation needs it - one of his roles in the books is as a bodyguard and protector for Aenea.

More like a Gurney Halleck mentor-type figure (not as old as Ben Kenobi!) than a Kevin Costner figure.

Can't see Leo like that! No matter how good his acting, physically he doesn't fit the role for me.

Hobbit

kahnovitch
August 14th, 2003, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by Hobbit
I think my opinion is that Leo is so unlike the character of Saul as I think of him in the book. The character of Raul I have always thought of as an older man, perhaps late 30's and 40's (always difficult to tell with these rejuvination techniques!) a trained soldier figure, not physically attractive but competent at what he does/has to do, and a wealth of experience. He has been places and seen things, yet is someone who can merge into the background when the situation needs it

I admit I haven't read any of this series, but sounds like a part Jean Reno would suit well.

Hobbit
August 14th, 2003, 08:30 AM
Good one, Kahn! I love Jean Reno - Leon is fantastic, hell, I've even watched Godzilla as a result! :D

Yes, that's what I mean......but I can't see it happening. *sigh*

Hobbit

Pluvious
August 14th, 2003, 06:06 PM
Raul needs to be a big, imposing guy for the story to make any sense. And I think he's early thirties...still a relatively young guy, but with experience. Who fits that role?

Hobbit
August 14th, 2003, 06:25 PM
Yes....hmmm, sort of Arnie-size, but half the age....and twice the intelligence! :eek: :D (Has to be able to say more than one sentence following on from each other......)

Can't think of anyone. *sigh*

What does that say about Hollywood?

Hobbit

Stewart
August 22nd, 2003, 10:56 PM
I think with the way Hyperion was written a mini series might serve it better.

Loras
June 12th, 2006, 05:49 AM
"To accomplish this, Raul Endymion and Aenea are on the Shrike Pilgrimage which is the story of the first novel in the series."

What does it means?? The figures of Raul and Aenea will be totally "deformed"...

And, who's going to play the role of Aenea? I think that she is the central character, she is the new Messiah, isn't she? However, Leo can't be a good Raul. Maybe Vin Diesel can, or someone like him - tall, strong, and a little simple-minded...

Another idea... the first two books, Hyperion and the Fall of Hyperion, are too huge to be made into movies... what about making only two movies, based on the last two books? The story also is more simple... it's a more "hollywood" story, I think.

Argh! I'm frightened of how far this story could go! :-D

p.s. sorry for my baaaad english, i'm italian

Quagmire
June 12th, 2006, 10:01 AM
Anyone else notice that there's similarities with Hyperion and the Terminator movies?

In the first 2 books, the shrike seems to be on the side of the machines and wreaks a lot of havoc.

In the last 2 books, the shrike acts as the protector to aenea.

Also, I don't know if the catholic church will be too happy to have this film made as they are portrayed as the bad guys once again.

Loras
June 13th, 2006, 06:10 AM
I hope that the catholic church won't be annoyed by a story setted in the XXX century... a little far from now :-D

You Are Borg
August 7th, 2006, 12:54 PM
I can't believe no one has thought that maybe the actor for Raul might be Danniel Day Lewis, also in Gangs Of New York, instead of Di'Caprio. He might be a little old for the role of Raul, but I think he is a far superior actor to Di'Caprio. I'd rather watch him anyday.