View Full Version : A couple of quick questions

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Hungry Jo
August 12th, 2003, 03:36 PM
I need some help with a few things for a short story I'm working on, I'd appreciate it if anyone could give me a hand.

1. I need a run down of US Army non-commisioned ranks.

2. As many slang insulting terms used for English or British people used by Americans. Can be as rascist and insulting as you want, infact the more the better. I'm really looking for "gook" equivelent.

Jacquin
August 12th, 2003, 05:11 PM
As an Englishman I'm looking forward to the answers to this one... :D

J

choppy
August 12th, 2003, 06:18 PM
Well, here's what I can help with:

1. U.S. rank structure (http://basic.armystudyguide.com/general/ranks.htm)

2. I don't really know of many insults americans use for brits. They seem to be getting along pretty well right now. If an american wanted to insult an englishman I suppose the worst direct insult would be to try and explain that baseball is better than "soccer."

juzzza
August 13th, 2003, 03:33 AM
Is 'Limey' a slang term for brit?

Yes it is, it is even in the dictionary.

Holbrook
August 13th, 2003, 04:30 AM
Originally posted by juzzza
Is 'Limey' a slang term for brit?

Yes it is, it is even in the dictionary.

And a military based one as well............

Though I would rather be a "limey" than have my teeth fall out :eek:

Wesleycl
August 13th, 2003, 04:44 AM
Limey, could be worse! I know that I have been called much worse in my time! :)

non-commisioned ranks would be like petty officer and crew man etc!

Why do you want insults?

Wesleycl
August 13th, 2003, 04:45 AM
choppy it's football not Soccer

choppy
August 13th, 2003, 11:29 AM
choppy it's football not Soccer

Yeah, I know. That's why I put it in quotations. Over here in North America we call it soccer, but I know that on the other side of the pond, ignorance or a lack of respect for the sport of football can be seen as very disrespectful and even insulting - which is why I mentioned it in the first place, calling it soccer.

I never really did understand why we called our version of rugby "football." There's only an occasional kick.

Hungry Jo
August 13th, 2003, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Wesleycl

non-commisioned ranks would be like petty officer and crew man etc!

Yes, but petty officer and crewman are navel ranks not Army ones. Thanks for the site choppy it's very helpful!

I need insults because I am writing a post-apocalyptian thing about a US military intervention in a British civil war, and I need names for he Americans to use for the British rebels. Limey will do I guess but it's not all that insulting.

Thanks for the help guys.

oh and on the football\soccer thing it's even more complicated because RUgby is actually also called football (although not many people call it that these days. Rugby is called Rugby Football and soocer\football is called Association Football. It's because when they started there were lots of different rules for football and 'Rugby' was just the rules the town of Rugby. DOn't know about American names for sports though.

KatG
August 13th, 2003, 04:00 PM
Most military nicknames come from WWII or similar conflicts. The only one I know of for the Brits is Limey and the Brits called the Americans Yanks or colonials. Of course there's redcoats, but that's sort of dated. Some of the nicknames given to the Irish immigrants in the U.S. might yield better results. But in this case, I'd suggest making up one of your own, something that the U.S. starts calling the Brits because of post-apocalyptic situations or because of their civil war.