View Full Version : I am new at SF writing

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Icemant90
August 13th, 2003, 01:41 PM
How are you people able to write so fast? I have recently started a childrens book and i have handwritten a chapter.
Do you use typewriters?
Or write by hand?
Or use a computer?
Please answer, I love writing, but not slowly.

And my book is A5

Ouroboros
August 13th, 2003, 01:58 PM
...Well, the great John Steinbeck used to write on little blocks of yellow paper with pencil, much to the amusement of his wife. Typewriters weren't his thing.

I say write whatever way is most comfortable for you, but recognise that mastering the mighty word processor will make things a hell of a lot easier in the long run.

Icemant90
August 13th, 2003, 02:01 PM
Well in that case how do i make microsoft word size A5? Or any other word processor?
Will printed work be published easier than written?

choppy
August 13th, 2003, 03:53 PM
Hi Icemant90,

It's always nice to see a fresh face.

I used to write things out longhand, but when I turned 19, I got a computer (it was a used compaq 286 if I recall). The great thing about word processing packages is that they make editing so much easier. The disadvantage is that you have to be rather diligent in backing things up.

Learning to type takes time, but at this point I can type almost as fast as I think. (Although I'm a pretty slow thinker.)

What is "A5"? I've never heard of it.

onions
August 14th, 2003, 03:38 AM
Originally posted by Icemant90
Well in that case hoe do i make microsoft word A5?

Do you mean the page format A5?
You can define the page size yourself in the menu. Unfortunately I have a germanspeaking edition of MS Word, so I can't tell you what things are called in english.

How old are you? Do you have a computer?

onions

Twelve
August 14th, 2003, 05:14 AM
A5 is the size of the page. It's usually the normal size of a sheet of paper.

If you type a work with a typewriter, or print out a sheet of paper from a default Microsoft Word format, each sheet will print out A5 size.

If you're looking to get published, I would advise you to type your work, not write with a pen.

I hope I helped out there.

kahnovitch
August 14th, 2003, 07:11 AM
Well in that case hoe do i make microsoft word A5? Or any other word processor?
Will printed work be published?

You can set the page size to a5 in Word by

1. Going to the "file" pull down menu.

2. Select "Page Setup".

3. Click the "paper size" tab.

4. Click on the pull down and scroll to "A5".

5. Click "ok" to confirm and then just type away.

Wesleycl
August 14th, 2003, 09:43 AM
Using word is so much easier, you can edit it well easily.

I use bits of paper to make notes on, ten type them up.

It is one of these things that each person has to decide, what feels best for you?

Icemant90
August 14th, 2003, 03:27 PM
Thanks, that will save me a lot of time. I bought an empty harback copy to write in, making slow progress, about a page a day. But now you've taught me how to resize word, which should speed things up.
Thank you all a lot.
I am nearly twelve, wanted to write for a long time, but i couldn't come up with any goodideas. Private message me if you want info about my book.
There's only one problem now, a lot of people use this computer and I want to keep all info private, so I am aiming to save up for a second-hand cheap laptop.

Thank you for helping, again!

Twelve
August 15th, 2003, 03:49 AM

I am nearly twelve, wanted to write for a long time, but i couldn't come up with any goodideas.

Hey, watch it! That's MY name!

No, but seriously...keep up the good work, guy. Keep writing and keep going for new ideas. If you keep writing and working from the age of 12, I assure you that you'll be something special when you get around my age.

Good stuff!!

Peace,