PDA

View Full Version : Is there any comics that anyone here dislikes?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Zsinj16
August 21st, 2001, 03:44 PM
Recently I've started reading comic book graphic novels. I used to read only Star Wars graphic novels, because you all know me, I'm a BIG Star Wars fan. But I've decided to expand my horizons a little, so to speak, and I have since then been reading awesome graphic novels such as "X-Men:Extermination Agenda", "Wolverine:Weapon X", the "Death of Superman Trilogy", "Wolverine & Cable: Guts & Glory", and many other great ones.
But recently I have come across a graphic novel that I didn't like so well called "Avengers: Forever". Why I disliked it so much was because the avengers seem so wimpy and afraid to kill, with maybe the exception of Captain America, since I've heard he's fought alongside Nick Fury a lot of times, and slaughtered many Nazis. But I found the book to be really cheesy since the Avengers were afraid to kill a single soul. There was even one scene in the graphic novel where Hawkeye was given arrows that could penetrate through anything by some Egyptian guys, and a giant enemy army was rushing toward him and he said "I know these arrows are powerful enough to penetrate through a massive tank or an entire fortress, but I can't shoot any one of these guys without killing them, and I don't want that!"
I mean come on!! I don't mean to be a critic, but how stupid can you get?! I really don't think I care to buy another Avengers graphic novel because of this.
So this brings me to this threads topic: Is there any comics that anyone here dislikes?

Alucard
August 21st, 2001, 04:30 PM
To be honest, I don't really like the "superhero" comics in general. There are a few exceptions, but I have always been a bigger fan of comics like bone, the maxx, lenore, cerebus, a lot of manga, and most anything of neil gaiman's. I'm not into x-men, spiderman, superman, batman, or much of anything along those lines. There have been a few writers or artists that did a very good job with those particular characters, but it is a rarity, and I usually don't actually buy even the good ones.

Demandred
August 21st, 2001, 11:46 PM
The comics I hate are all the latest X-men, wolverine and basically just about all the latest marvel and DC comics. I used to be a big fan but when the story telling went downhill and the artwork changed to something resembling pavement pizza I stopped buying them, and even now when I look at them I shake my head in sadness at what they have become.
At least there are other comics out there which have good artwork and stories ie bone, hellboy, sandman, preacher to name a few.