View Full Version : 13

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

satisverborum20
August 15th, 2003, 09:48 AM
I always thought I was the youngest writer in this forum but now there is someone who is 12 years old. I'm 13 and I started writing when I was 7.

juzzza
August 15th, 2003, 09:54 AM
Gonna move this to General Discussion forum... Because I am old :D

Dominus
August 15th, 2003, 01:17 PM
Shamed. :( Sorry.

Duccius
August 15th, 2003, 01:37 PM
Even though I am no longer an admin... I have to say the above post is way out of order. Go take your Spam to the Playroom Dom... this topic is asking a serious question, and also opening a debate about how young writers began to try their craft. It is for just this kind of crap the Playroom was created... and even then... rubbish like this is still out of order.

Now.. one of the finest writers, Michael Moorcock began writing when he was about 8 I think... his first pubished was book was at 17 or there abouts. Keep at it young S20! :)

fluffy bunny
August 15th, 2003, 04:22 PM
who better than a young person to write young characters/ address perceptions from a young POV. After all our perceptions as to what's important etc do change throughout life.

Duccius
August 15th, 2003, 04:45 PM
Do you not think that Stephen King still has the ability to write from a young persons POV? Or rather... did have?

Hobbit
August 15th, 2003, 05:55 PM
I've always felt that Ray Bradbury could capture something of youth and innocence, even though his writing is not that of a youngster, he can still have that sense of wonderment. *sniff*

Incidentally, Ray Bradbury is 83 - birthday next week! and still writing! See newspaper article here (http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/books/story/108903p-98414c.html)

I've finally taken the plunge (wanted to do this for years and years!) and ordered a signed copy from the States of his latest compendium. Can't wait!

A couple of add-ons - Terry Pratchett was 14 and a half when he sold his first story (an SF story) in 1963. He then took a long time out before Discworld.

Robert Silverberg was 21 and a half when he won his first Hugo Award.

So keep writing!

Hobbit

milamber_reborn
August 16th, 2003, 12:50 AM
Everyone is young at heart, just as some of us young people are wise for our age.

Stephen King did a great job with It, involving several children. Don't know how old he was then.

I'm 21 and am trying hard to be published. The earlier the better I say.

Dominus
August 16th, 2003, 04:06 AM
Woah, Ray Bradbury is still alive!? I thought he died back in the 80s.

If you read GRRM's biography, he talks about how he wrote stories as a kid and actually got paid by the neighborhood kids for his work, which was amazing then, but would be even more amazing now.

As for 'old' writers writing 'young' perspectives....I would think most decent writers have fairly good memories, and can probably remember what it was basically like to be a kid, their imagination can fill in the rest just like it would for any other character an author creates.

kater
August 16th, 2003, 06:37 AM
Just to add to Hobbit's point on Silverberg he was exceptionally young when he had his first short story published in a mag, 14 I think, and about four or five years ago he wrote a book called Science Fiction 101 in which he details his experiences growing up and obsessively trying to write plus all his heroes at the time, how he got published etc along with his favourite short story efforts of all time - all of which are brilliant from Heinlein through to Vance, well worth getting if your serious about writing imo.