PDA

View Full Version : Publishing...

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Tasnek
August 16th, 2003, 02:51 PM
So far, my friend and I have written a book and a half. I told him I'd take care of publishing, seeing as he can be flaky and it could be a long time before he would actually send anything in. What I'm wondering is, how do I go about publishing? I have a book that helps called "The Writer's Market" but that only tells me things such as what certain publishers look for, and how long they will take to publish, how long until you get a response, etc...it says very little about money. I don't mean me getting paid, I'm wondering how much money, if any, does it usually cost to publish a book? Hopefully someone can enlighten me on this dilema.

KATS
August 16th, 2003, 11:04 PM
There are 2 basic ways of getting your book published. Using a main stream publishing house or a type of vanity publishing house.

The main stream publishing houses will NOT charge you anything. In fact a fee is the first sign of a scam. Check out Writer Beware (http://www.sfwa.org/Beware/) website. This site is specifically for new writers so they don't get taken in by scam artists. It is also part of the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America, Inc. organization.

Vanity publishing is basically where you pay a company to print your book. These are where many of the scams are so you should pursue this type of publishing with great caution. There are several members who have direct experience with fairly respectable (ie upfront with their proceedures including the total fee and not constantly springing more fees with no book in sight) POD businesses and can give more direction than I. Things to beware of are that they rarely offer genuine editors so your book may be published with lots and lots of mistakes - from grammar to story elements. They also rarely offer ANY type of promotions and many bookstores will NOT shelve books from these publishers so getting the book to the public (thereby turning a profit) can be difficult. Many of them also have outrageous elements to their contracts - ie ALL copy rights.

Remember ANY time someone wants a fee, check it out first. Reading fees and such are very, very suspicious - whether from a publishing house or an agent. And deals that seem too good to be true, often are.

Kimberly
a/k/a KATS

milamber_reborn
August 17th, 2003, 03:11 AM
http://www.ralan.com/

Tasnek
August 17th, 2003, 02:21 PM
Ah, thank you for the info, it's very helpful.

user123
August 30th, 2003, 04:17 AM
The time it takes to hear from a publisher is not always the same. I sent to Del-Rey and it took a year and a half before I heard from them. It was a rejection, not really worth the wait. Then again I sent to Daw and heard from the in two months, again a rejects but this that time it wasn't just a form letter.
Anyway, their is no fast and easy rule for how long it take to get a responce from a publisher, the wait can be long for a new author. But don't give up, keep working and sooner or later someone will want your work.

KatG
August 30th, 2003, 10:34 AM
What you seem to be talking about is self-publishing, where you are your own publisher, and edit, produce, get printed and package, market and distribute the book yourself. A lot of people do this, though it's a bit more common with non-fiction works than fiction. It's not considered unrespectable, especially if you get sales, but it does mean that you would be doing all the work a publishing house does by yourself, including filling orders and shipping the books. The cost of doing this varies considerably, depending on what computer desktop publishing equipment you have, what printer and book binder you use, etc. There are a number of guides to self-publishing out there and I would suggest you look for one of those, plus try to talk to some authors who have self-published and can give you tips.

Tasnek
August 30th, 2003, 12:39 PM
Well I was more worried about cost than anything else, seeing as I have little money to spare. Although, I appreciate your incentive and I'm sure that all your advice should help me well, and I thank you for it.

Sirand
August 30th, 2003, 04:06 PM
Basically, if you actually want to be read by a large number of people than you would have to be accepted by a proper publishing house; one that does not want any money from you. Unfortunately, you will probably be rejected unless you're very lucky.