PDA

View Full Version : The most disturbing film I have ever seen...

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Bear
August 17th, 2003, 02:28 AM
Has anyone here seen the independant movie "May"? I just saw this earlier tonight, and it was, as this thread claims, the most disturbing film I have ever seen. I don't want to say too much about the plot--it's better (more disturbing) when you don't know what to expect, so don't read the back of the box--but it wierded me out. And I am almost impossible to wierd out.

And I've said it before, but it you want to see some really nutty movies, watch independant films. Like this one.

The movie is really well-filmed and all the actors did a good job, but man...disturbing. Much more unsettling to me than something like, say, Seven. Recommended, if you don't mind this kind of thing.

Shehzad
August 17th, 2003, 10:34 AM
What general genre does it fit in?

Bear
August 17th, 2003, 09:16 PM
Horror. But not the supernatural kind. The "now we're gonna screw with your head so that you don't leave the film the same person" kind of stuff. I read some reviews of the film, and one reviewer said he's never seen so many people walk out of a screening in all his life as a film critic. Not for the weak of stomach.

But one of the reason's it's so creepy is because the first half of the film is almost like a dark comedy. The second half is another story entirely. I'd reccomend it, but the movie really made me cringe (!) more than once, and the finale of the film was almost too much, via the beauty of foreshadowing. Check it out. :)

Eventine
August 18th, 2003, 01:29 AM
Hmmm. Haven't heard of it. I'll keep my out for it though.

Two films I found disturbing (for entirely different reasons):
In the Mouth of Madness - this is one of those screw with your head creepy sort of movies. I was reasonably young and impressionable when I first saw it so that didn't help.
Requiem for a dream - this film shows the most unglorified depiction of drug addiction I've ever seen in a movie. Kids should be shown this film to scare them off doing drugs.

Bear
August 18th, 2003, 02:58 PM
Both of those movies were tough ones (especially Requiem), Eventine, but I still say this takes the cake. It could just be me, but I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't. Some gnarly stuff.

kahnovitch
August 19th, 2003, 04:49 AM
For a damned wierd experience check out "EraserHead" directed by David Lynch.
I saw it once by accident after returning home late from a booze sesh, and I never wish to see it again.

Kaz
August 19th, 2003, 09:52 AM
One of the most disturbing flicks I've seen in a long time is The Butcher Boy - oy, total mindboggler

whyndamearle
August 20th, 2003, 12:24 AM
Eraserhead is still my favorite one! The sound is wonderful! Picture is great too! That took me 7 years to make from start to finish, and is the only reason Mel gave me The Elephant Man to direct. Without it I would be nowhere.

Can't wait to see this so-called May. People have been talking about it in circles down here in LALA land.

Nimea
August 20th, 2003, 03:33 AM
Mmh, May was done quite well and the actress was really good. Reading some reviews I expected a lot more of this movie. So, it was kind of unsettling while watching, but not so very disturbing, this sensation was not lasting for me . . .
The only thing that made me look away was in the end - yeah, that was disturbing, and even after watching a lot of horror movies I don't have a stomach for this.

Much more disturbing were "Requiem for a dream", "Man bites Dog" (which I don't need to see again) and . . . "Meet the Feebles" ;)

Recently, seeing Hugo Weaving in Priscilla-Queen of the desert, my memories of Matrix and LotR were disturbingly altered. Can't think of Agent Smith without a particular outfit now. ;) - But Priscilla is a good movie!)

Bear
August 20th, 2003, 03:59 AM
Apparently, after talking to some friends of mine, they were not as wierded out by May as I was, but they were more disturbed by films like Requiem. To each their own, I guess. But that scene at the children's blind school was downright twisted, and the ending was just excrutiating. I still haven't seen Man Bites Dog, and I have a number of people tell me to steer clear and that they wished they hadn't seen it. I'll probably check it out eventually.