PDA

View Full Version : Moving On

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Lucky Joe
August 18th, 2003, 08:51 AM
I have often heard people/usually writers advising others to never ever throw any of their work away.

I've only ever come close to throwing away any of my work once - about four days ago - the belief being that I want to move on and work on new stuff that excites me now, not that excited me two years ago. Thankfully sense prevailed and I just dumped all my older work into a separate file and don't intend to look at it again for some time if ever. Just can't seem to bring myself to toss it all out though, which is probably a good thing but I'm not entirely sure. :confused:

Any of you guys ever thrown out work? And if so did you regret it later?

Chlestron
August 18th, 2003, 01:58 PM
I've LOST stuff. I've had it simply vanish without a trace. Often, I'll start on a story and I'll find myself stalled. Then, I'll put it away for ahwile never to look at it again. Occasionally, the idea would resurface and I'd start on the same story over again. Sometimes I'll even finish it, bu tusually the story dies again. I have a LOT of stuff in my defunct files

choppy
August 18th, 2003, 02:01 PM
To move on is good. To forget is bad.

I'm not sure what you would accomplish by throwing something away. Maybe it's a psychological thing.

If you want to abandon a project, pack it up and file it. But you never know when you'll want to pull it out and dust it off. I find that often I'll want to use old stuff for names, or just to see how I did something similar before. If nothing else it lets you keep a record of how much you've improved.

Cheers.

Twelve
August 18th, 2003, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by choppy
To move on is good. To forget is bad.

Amen. I always get to these threads to late. All of the best stuff is always already written.

I can't imagine working on the same exact work that I've been on for more than a year, unless it was a project that truly needed that much time(like a research work). Too much would have been changed in my mind since then, I would hopefully be a better writer.

Lucky Joe
August 18th, 2003, 07:52 PM
Choppy, it'd be purely physchological. I've decided against it anyway, because like you said you just know the next day you'd be thinking what name did I come up with for that guy? Or how did I get around this problem before.

I guess the real thing would be removing temptation to go back and work on old stuff when I should be advancing in my writing not going backwards.:D

milamber_reborn
August 19th, 2003, 01:41 AM
I always try to finish what I start, and I never get rid of anything. It does no harm for it sit there on the PC.

An8el
August 19th, 2003, 11:56 PM
...except when a failed hard drive makes the decision for you, then it's as good as gone. I've lost a few that way.

One time I was riding home after picking up my independent course thesis from college prof after making the grade , (in the mouldy oldy time, before computers) and I still can't believe that I left it on the bus! Couldn't get it back because for some reason it wasn't in the lost and found at the end of the night. That hurt, more because my art portfolio photographs of paintings that had been sold and gone were with it too. Still :mad: at myself for that one.

I always keep the stuff I make, write, compose, sing or sell professionally - unless I have a pic or outline or other record of its existence. The written stories, letters and even the journal stuff I like to keep around because - material, material, material. I am my own reference library by now, even the I Ching readings... I find that the stories get better after they sit on the shelf for six months. That way I read them as if it wasn't me who wrote them.

Now that you don't have to keep papers around, I still do make one hard copy of a story when I finish it. In fact, I have two ancient computers that I network to, do backup onto them, then unhook them again so it can't get ruined by the next newer and better virus.

I get very upset when I write for a few hours and then lose it to some computer glitch. Can't stand that.