View Full Version : Star Wars 7,8,9?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Cirdan
August 20th, 2003, 05:48 AM
Does anyone know if Lucas is going to finish the Star Wars series? I know itīs a long shot but given the (at least commercial) succes it should be considered.

So far The Empire Strikes Back has been the best of the films, but I think Attack of the Clones was rather good and maybe Lucas has got the touch again?

Yes, it was the battlescenes I loved the most. Impressive all the way.

Eurytus
August 20th, 2003, 07:23 AM
I would feel the same way about these films as I did about Aliens 3 & 4 and Terminator 3.

Something common to Aliens, Terminator 2 and Return of the Jedi is that they came to an ending that felt 'right' for the characters within.

In Aliens Ripley had confronted her fear of the Alien and found a new family to replace the one lost during hypersleep.

In Terminator 2, whilst not perfect due to paradoxes in the timeline, for the main character it made total sense. Sarah Conner taking hold of her own destiny at last and heading into a future that was, for the first time, uncertain.

In Return of the Jedi Luke has reclaimed his father from the dark side and become a Jedi whilst Han has finally put aside his selfishness and found something worth caring about, the rebellion and Leia.

In the same way that I found that both Aliens 3 & 4 and Terminator 3 added nothing to the characters and broke what I felt to be 'right' endings, I would feel the same about Star Wars 7-9.

Of course the over-riding question would be, Why?
Simply why continue the story in that way.

Far better would be to film (and especially to allow other directors to film) stories based in the Star Wars galaxy that do not impact on the character arcs of those already seen in the existing films.

Somewhat like the Xbox game, Knights of the old Republic has done.

Lastly, I have great childhood memories of the Star Wars films and I would not wish to see them further reduced in quality until they become subject to the law of diminishing returns, much as the Star Trek films are starting to do.
In fact, adjusted for inflation even the Star Wars films are doing the same;

Star Wars $1,118,591,056
Empire Strikes Back $616,100,238
Return of the Jedi $590,693,096
Phantom Menace $532,920,178
Attack of the Clones $333,478,819

(source: Box Office Mojo)

When looked at that way, will there still be the audience for further films once the current ones are wrapped up.

Do we need more 'comedy' moments like Jar Jar, the Pod Race Commentator or 3P0's 'hilarious' slapstick routine at the end of Attack of the Clones?

Do we need midi-chlorians?

Do we need battle scenes that look like the introductory FMV to a Playstation 2 game?

Do we need to see characters thrown in for no other reason than to please fan boys?
I mean Jango Fett?!?
Vadar built 3P0?!?
Luke Skywalker ends up being hidden from Anakin Skywalker on the planet where the latter grew up, where the latter's mum died, where the latter met his wife, where the latter met Obi Wan, where the latter's brother lives? AND they don't think to change his name? AND Vadar doesn't think to look there?

In a Galaxy that you'd think contains thousands of stars and planetary systems where they keep visiting the same ones, bumping into the same people?
The Star Wars galaxy seems to be as diverse as the Friends set.

Anyway, rant over.

But no. I don't think he should make films 7-9.
Let it rest in peace.

Ouroboros
August 20th, 2003, 07:59 AM
Hmm.... At least we can console ourselves that if further Star Wars sequels do come along, helmed by Lucas, they will not follow the tepid plot of the expanded universe Star Wars novels... I don't think Lucas recognises they exist, let alone likes 'em.

As far as Aliens goes, I was reading recently (this month's SFX magazine, surely the greatest SF mag known to man) that Aliens vs. Predator is in the works, as well as Aliens 5 and 6. Ridley Scott and Signourney Weaver are both allegedly on board for the latter two movies. Word has it that 5 is a set up for 6, and that broadly speaking both movies will explore a cataclysmic showdown between Weaver and Alien dropships (?) attacking the earth.

Eurytus
August 20th, 2003, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Ouroboros
Word has it that 5 is a set up for 6, and that broadly speaking both movies will explore a cataclysmic showdown between Weaver and Alien dropships (?) attacking the earth.
Oh dear Lord!!

I fear that in retrospect we may come to discover that Aliens 4 was NOT the lowest the series can sink.

What's the tagline?

"Ripley's back and this time she's on HRT"

Obtuse
August 20th, 2003, 01:23 PM
I don't think we have too much to worry about as far as more Star Wars movies are concerned. Last I heard, Lucas had no desire to make any more after Episode 3. We can only hope he sticks to that.

Gildor
August 20th, 2003, 02:55 PM
Well if there will be another set of films i can only pray to god that lucas doesn't direct them!

If indeed another director decides to take on star wars for future films, it can only be a good thing if someone else brings a different slant to the star wars universe.

With such a wealth of material to choose from, whoever has a stab they can't do any possibly worse than, the phantom menace and attack of the clones surely.

surely the greatest SF mag known to man

Couldn't agree more Ouroborus, reading it again though i couldn't help but notice cameroon idily toying with the possibilty of putting arnie into the alien movie :eek:

Makes you wonder !

Shehzad
August 20th, 2003, 03:34 PM
I don't think Lucas wants to do Ep 7-9; in fact the story for these episodes exists in the form of the Thrawn trilogy by Timothy Zahn. I don't think he could improve on it.

saintjon
August 20th, 2003, 04:13 PM
I think it sucks that a lot of the really great story points Zahn established have become redundant/ impossible due to some of the things from The Phantom Menace.

I heard somebody at Lucas was saying that they're on board with this notion I've heard about that the clones and stormtroopers are one and the same. Which renders 90% of the Thrawn trilogy impossible and meaningless. what a mess. Especially seeing as the Thrawn trilogy is emerging as the better story.

Garibaldi
August 20th, 2003, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by Ouroboros
Hmm.... At least we can console ourselves that if further Star Wars sequels do come along, helmed by Lucas, they will not follow the tepid plot of the expanded universe Star Wars novels... I don't think Lucas recognises they exist, let alone likes 'em.

According to Michael Stackpole, Lucas approves/disapproves every book in the SW universe.

milamber_reborn
August 20th, 2003, 11:12 PM
He wrote all 9 scripts back in the day. It's inevitable. The quality of all the scripts is quite good, but he changed the execution for the latest three to maximise the SFX. At least with the sequal trilogy there will be a new set of characters. Perhaps an old Luke and Han making a guest appearence - they'll be the right age if he skips a few years like I'm predicting. He should do something similar to the new Jedi Outcast: Academy game, where Jedi's in training (with Luke as teacher) are thrust into missions that start a major storyline.