View Full Version : Worms and Trojans

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Ogier
August 21st, 2003, 10:33 AM
Is anyone else having problems with these buggers? I currently have at least one type of worm in my hard disk, and it doesn't want to go away... Came with some spam mail via hotmail.

ps. Does anyone know any free programs that will find and destroy these annoyances? Downloadable with a modem...

pps. I hope I put this in the right forum...

Dominus
August 21st, 2003, 11:01 AM
I don't know of any free programs like that, I Norton Systemworks, it was only about 50$ after rebates and it finds and removes viruses, and lots of other things. Chances are that if you don't have a virus protection program, you probably have a few more on your system just lurking around, it would probably be in your and your computers best interest to get something like that to protect yourself.

Ogier
August 21st, 2003, 11:08 AM
I have a program called PC-Cilling. It found the worms but it wasn't able to do anything to them...:(

I'll soon get a new virus protection program with my new internet connection but until then I don't know what to do. That's one reason why I can't afford to get anything that costs something...

Dominus
August 21st, 2003, 11:50 AM
Well, I guess you can take solace in the fact that most worms don't really do anything....

Gildor
August 21st, 2003, 02:51 PM
It wasn't called w32.blaster.worm was it?

Because if it is that was a big problem over here in britain and in japan, though it doesn't do any damage, it was still bloody annoying :mad:

It could be called something different this link should have the right information.

http://www.symantec.com/

I don't know if there is something similar over in America, but that was a recent worm that affected PC's big elsewhere !

Bear
August 21st, 2003, 03:31 PM
I would make sure to back up everything important on your hardrive, Ogier. I concocted a worm early this year, and even though it seemed like nothing at first, it got bad. After a couple of weeks, it suddenly went nuts and made my computer unbootable. I had to reformat my harddrive and lost all my information because of it. So again, back stuff up.

milamber_reborn
August 21st, 2003, 09:51 PM
Go to www.trendmicro.com and there should be a link to a free scan somewhere. Also, download the latest scan engine and definition update for PC-Cillin while you're there.

e-Morgana
August 22nd, 2003, 12:45 AM
Duccius and I (and no doubt a few others on here), use AVG to get rid of these pesky little buggers.

It's free, and you can update it regularly. It's saved me from bugbear, Klez, and quite a few other nasties since I've had it.

Go here (http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php) to give it a go. I couldn't be happier with it. :D

Actualy, after hunting down that link for you, it appears they've just released a new trial version. I'll have to look into that as well.

DarthV
August 22nd, 2003, 06:53 AM
Unfortunately most of the antivirus programs woudn't detect blaster when it first exploded into PCs around the world. I usually have my winXP machine updated with patches about a day or so after they are released, but a lot of people don't keep up with the patches. So when you add a very low level exploit (the winnt/2k/xp RPC exploit) with a new to the world virus, you get a whole boatload of problems. Here at work I had set pretty much all my XP machines to auto download and then prompt for install of new updates, unfortunately I had about a dozen people ignore the nice little balloon message for MONTHS. It takes about 30 mins to clean up a machine after it has been nailed..what a royal pain...as if I don't have other more important things to do with that time during the work day.

Was kinda funny watching people trying to install the RPC patch and then have the rpc service fail and reboot the machine in 60 seconds though :)

Ogier
August 22nd, 2003, 01:01 PM
Thanks to you all for the information you've given me!:) And to answer the questions here:

What comes to PC-Cillin I always look for updates when I'm online.

And second, the name of the worm... I think it was W/32Sobigf.