View Full Version : Cult

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

didi
August 21st, 2003, 02:55 PM
okay, i'm doing a little research, brought on by my recent encounter with a flyer in a 7-11 encouraging me to come to some meeting for a religious group i had never heard of. What kind of cults are out there? Did anyone have a weird experience?

Shanoncia
August 21st, 2003, 02:58 PM
Cults... ah... I've often warned people of a cult called the "Join me's" ehere everyone runs around telling people to join them, and strangely enough, people surely do.

My boyfriends mother is in a cult, a very strange cult and as soon I stepped into their gathering place I was chilled to the bone. I've always been sensitive to the spiritual realm, or vibes or karma or whatever you want to call it, and there, it was just pure evil.

Ouroboros
August 21st, 2003, 04:19 PM
It's worth remembering that practically every major religion was at one time regarded as a 'cult' and presecuted by whoever was in power at the time. These days, not much has changed ... the very notion of fringe religious groups stealing people's impressionable familly members, brainwashing one another, drinking poisoned kool-aid etc. sends people into a paranoid frenzy.

I'm basically saying that in my opinion it's a mistake to lump all these small groups in together and condemn them universally in a tabloid style blitz. Undoubtedly some are wacky nutjobs. Some are manipulative personality cults which look for the weak-minded or lonely. Some are just splinters off larger religious groups who happen to have their own way of doing things. As with any other aspect of human existence, your mileage may vary... (I've been wanting to use that phrase for the past few days). I have personally never come across any 'pure evil' cults- just a few oddballs and puritans that you can always walk away from and dump whatever ranty leafley they've given you in the nearest bin.

I reckon that for every Temple of the Solar light releasing sarin into subways, there are thousands of harmless little crackpot bibe-study groups or what have you, happily doing their own thing and not really causing much trouble to anyone.

Funnily enough I did once fill out a personality test for a scientology branch, though these guys are more established church than cult at this point. It took about 45 minutes, and then they went off and processed it. I felt left out with the results: everyone else was recommended to do X, Y and Z course, join up etc. and they just told me to buy the lousy book..... Then the head chick told me that judging by my test I was 'maladjusted' and 'The kind of person who would get in a crash-crash and drive away from the scene'. I left, speechless and not quite sure whether to be flattered or depressed that the scientologists didn't want me or not.... I mean, they took Travolta, but I'm not good enough?

Twelve
August 21st, 2003, 05:18 PM
Yes...today's respectable religions were yesterday's cults. If a cult survives long enough and gains enough members, they are allowed to enter a different category, for some reason.

I'm not trying to avoid answering the question, but that's just the way it is.

Shanoncia
August 21st, 2003, 09:04 PM
Well, if you saw the cult I'm talking about... well I think you would come to the same conclusion as me. It's quite frightening the things people are asked to do, but whats more frightening is that they actually do it.

Of course I don't personally feel that every club or "religious" group is a cult. That goes for the clubs and I do and don't agree with. But those that are, well, until a cult harms me or someone I love I'm not going to fuss over them. I'll just shake my head and move on. :)

Sammie
August 22nd, 2003, 06:47 AM
Hey guys,

I'm gonna have to do the mod-type-thing here and point out to you that this is a bit of a controversial topic....so please keep it as non-judgemental (and non-political) as possible, if you want it to maximise the chance of it staying open.

Thank you :)

Sammie.

Shanoncia
August 24th, 2003, 07:48 PM
Yes, and as borderline as it is I find there isn't to much to be said on the subject. Best to just trust your instincts in all situations and wish the best for others.

WelkinMachinist
August 25th, 2003, 03:02 AM
Personally, I donīt see reason why anybody should join a cult or other religious groups. To my experience matters of faith work best on the individual level.

Nowadays there are lots of religious groups that just try to gain financial benefit by recruiting new members, they have become part of the market economy hype, but not all of course. If I would be in your shoes, Didi, I would try to obtain as much information on this particular "cult" that I could, study carefully their programme and just talk to the old members.

And if there is no information found on this cult it would seem little bit odd, donīt you think? But it is you who makes the final decision.

WM

Shanoncia
August 25th, 2003, 11:38 AM
Well in a way I agree with you. I understand that some religious groups try to bring to "the truth" to others because they have a sincere faith in what they are doing that powers a sincere want to help people. I've no resentment for them, even if I don't agree with what they teach. However, like any other I have my own beliefs and I would NEVER EVER force them upon anyone because I too believe that religion is past people must walk alone. That also, however, doesn't mean that if they ask what I beleive that I won't tell them. I'd be happy to share with those who come to me, because in doing so they are walking the path themselves. :)

Now I'm not sure what you mean wbout not finding information on them...???

Iskaral Pust
August 25th, 2003, 11:51 AM
My friend's cat was sacrificed by a cult, though I've never found out if he was joking or not.