PDA

View Full Version : Characters Songs and ideas.......

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Holbrook
August 22nd, 2003, 08:08 AM
I know a lot of my fellow authors listen to music while writing, but does any song you listen to by chance actually reflect a part of your character or idea so much that it becomes a theme tune for that work in your mind.

I suppose for me, of all things, is Whenever Wherever by Shakira. While I was writing my second novel, the main character now and then hummed a "crude soldier's ditty" much to the anonyance of the other characters and often at the height of the action. There came a point in the story where he just had to sing the words out loud and off tune and lo... the tune to which the words seemed to fit was "Whenever, Wherever"

Lifino
August 22nd, 2003, 10:06 AM
Personaly I enjoy details like that. Especially so when they make reference to the real world while in the fantasy setting.

On the other hand, my writing is not at any advanced level... I can't comment on my environment affecting my work...

BUT, when it comes to read I love to have music playing. I try to select songs that complement the setting of the story... Sometimes I'll ONLY play one cd through a whole book (I did this a lot in college) and years later when I hear that CD it brings back the story... The two are forever associated.

KatG
August 22nd, 2003, 01:12 PM
I don't think that would happen to me. I can only play instrumental music when I write. Singing voices, or talking voices such as on t.v., distract me too much. I don't integrate the two. I was told that Baroque music playing while you create or study is suppose to actually help your brain and I do enjoy having the Baroque compositions on when I write sometimes, though I don't know if it does anything. But mostly I write in silence. I have a friend who writes while she watches television shows. I sort of wish I could do that. :)

Icemant90
August 22nd, 2003, 04:31 PM
I like to listen to "Fly on the wings of love" by XTM. It's such a beautiful song...

milamber_reborn
August 22nd, 2003, 11:32 PM
Great song, Ice.

Forrest
August 25th, 2003, 02:07 PM
I listen to death metal when I write. No reason. I just like it.:)

The contrast between thrashing audio violence and the otherwise peaceful things I write about is stimulating.

Ouroboros
August 25th, 2003, 04:13 PM
I find that if I am trying to brain storm or visualise something then listening to music aids the creative process. If I am trying to get into the heads of a bunch of front-rankers about to link shields and meet the enemy's charge, then I stick on some Metallica ... and so on, so forth.

That said, when it actually comes down to the mechanics of writing well, I think music is a distraction to at least some extent. Great for a warm-up, great to get you in the mood, but when it comes to crafting words then you have to have all your attention on what you're doing. A bit like doing your homework with the radio on when I was a kid - it made things more fun, but in hindsight my mind was not all on my work. That's me, I'm sure other people are different: we all perform best under different conditions.

Lucky Joe
August 27th, 2003, 06:07 AM
When I wrote my last book I was listening to a cd called Breakdown:The very best euphoric chillout mix, and it just so happened that i got into the habit of putting it on whenever I sat down to write. The first track is the theme to the last of the mohicans and was just perfect for setting the mood. A lot of the other tracks seemed to reflect other parts of the story.

I'm still trying to find a new cd for my latest work, it definately helps me get into the right frame of mind.

When I was reading Eddings I used to listen to a lot of Erasure (I was very young) and now the two are linked forever in my mind.

Stewart
August 29th, 2003, 04:13 PM
O Fortuna is a great song for epic battle scenes.