View Full Version : Medieval Total War

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Gildor
August 25th, 2003, 10:34 AM
I have been struglling with the inner workings of this game for a very long time, eventually settling on using the byzantiums as my army to take over europe, it started very well country after country fell to my vast armies. Trade was good, my leader had many heirs and my economy was booming.

Only the Papacy left on the map :D

Then everthing went went wrong :(

EVERY PROVINCE REVOLTED

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo !!

I was sickened, bloody enemy armies everywhere, and two factions remerged, after one game turn my empire had dissolved into a multitude of differently shaded greys! :mad:

WHY ?

has any one else had one of these european uprising ?

whyndamearle
August 25th, 2003, 09:37 PM
I also play Total War. I usually use the Egyptians. Last game I played the same thing happened to me, but I wasn't really paying attention to loyalty in my countries. Some of them only had 100 troupes in them, and that doesn't bode well for moral!

You have to station at least 200 army in every province you own, even the ones you started with, sometimes more to keep loyalty up.

You may also have some leaders or Generals with a horrible vice. If your King is a pedofile for example, the pop. tends to not like you very much!

I love this game, finally a game for the thinker.

Gildor
August 26th, 2003, 06:37 AM
Well my Leader is a bit of a swine but he is a good steward and a builder that effects the pop considerably. I think i once had about 30 generals with bad vices like...

Ill hinged loon :eek: this one was a bit shocking !

But the game is horribly addictive, but i won't rest till i conquer all of europe :D

whyndamearle
August 26th, 2003, 12:54 PM
It is amazing isn't it? I just got the Viking expansion and am going to play through a whole game once I get a couple of free days!

I also can't wait for the next one. Looks absolutley amazing!

Gildor
August 27th, 2003, 06:15 AM
I was thinking about the viking expansion, do you have to conquer britain or something, i remember seeing a screenshot of England and Wales divided into loads of seperate provinces.

looks amazing :D

But i think i shall wait for Rome Total War

If it can play on my Pc :(

kahnovitch
November 7th, 2003, 08:11 AM
Just got this game recently from secondhand shop and it is better than I even hoped.

The pope basically is the most powerful man in Europe, second only to God. He will give you warnings about acts of war, un-pious behaviour and can ex-commincate you etc.

There is a simple(ish) solution to the papacy problem...

Conquer Rome and the Papacy States early on and you will control/become the pope.
However be aware that the pope will constantly re-imerge with an awesome army of 1500 to 2000 men, consisting mostly of Royal Knights (heavy cavalry) and Foot Knights (with full plate and tower shields), so keep a top notch general and a decent army occupying the place at all times as he will just magically appear in Rome with his posse.
I have controlled Rome in the current game since I first took it and fended off the Pope's army over a dozen times, so heed the words of a Barbarian when it comes to warfare.

:D ;)

Gildor
November 7th, 2003, 10:17 AM
Its amazing how long this game can last, i've been playing this game for what seems like an age, and i'm still not tired of it.

As to the pope it becomes slightly sticky if you're a catholic faction, as mighty bands of Christian Rebels appear all over the place if you don't respect him, mind you i waited till late on in the game.

And it always seems that the Sicilians invade up through Rome always waging war agains the pope no matter what. It never ceases to amuse, like the first thing the French do is attack the English, then promtly get there ass kicked ... :p

kahnovitch
November 7th, 2003, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Gildor
It never ceases to amuse, like the first thing the French do is attack the English, then promtly get there ass kicked ... :p

Funny you should say that, as I'm playing AS the English and the first faction I wiped out was the French (probably coz their the nearest. Possibly for the fun of it:D ). I guess the old feuds are the ones that we like to settle first :rolleyes:

One of my generals is now titled "King of Rome" which is nice and his sole job is to defend the province. A full time job I can tell you.

It's a bloody great game and I can see me playing it over and over (at least until Rome TW comes out).
Love the amount of variety in the units. So many different types of cavalry, infantry and skirmishers, Plus I love finding those rare "special units" lke this one unique Turkish or arabic unit that is as strong as Royal Knights but comes in a unit double the size of the standard royal knights. Serious ass-kicking unit.

The "Steppes Cavalry" are cool too as the fastest (that I seen so far) lancer unit on the battlefield.

Gildor
November 7th, 2003, 11:01 AM
I think i played as the English to start, though i ended up with armies of Rebels rampaging through the streets of London, not a good start :(

But i prevailed and learnt my lesson, and now the first thing i do is set up a trade link and concentrate on my economy, in addition to some controlled expansion, always exploiting my neighbouring factions weaknes. I went for the Byzantines just for Constaninople which evetnually brought in a whopping 1400 + florins not counting the trade, but then there are a few really high producing provinces like Flanders and Aragon which can be milked for loads of cash.

Do you have the booklet with all the unit types in? It came in really usefull, especially in showing what buildings were nessesary in order to get a really good unit.

And you'll find that there are a few surprises in store, though i won't spoil them :D

kahnovitch
November 7th, 2003, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Gildor

Do you have the booklet with all the unit types in? It came in really usefull, especially in showing what buildings were nessesary in order to get a really good unit.

And you'll find that there are a few surprises in store, though i won't spoil them :D

Yes, I've got a poster with the technology tree on it with all the units and the necessary buildings etc.
Looking forward to getting some of the more advanced units. :D