View Full Version : Under-rated Films

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

Iskaral Pust
August 25th, 2003, 12:55 PM
Seen an excellent movie that you'd never heard of before? No-one you speak to knows it? Annoying, isn't it?
Two films that I think are brilliant are "The Others" (a film that proved Nicol Kidman can act and it had some damm spooky children) and "The Pianist" which is IMO better than Shindler's LIst.

whyndamearle
August 25th, 2003, 07:52 PM
Haven't seen either of them, but will watch them soon. It is tough for me, I haven't been able to watch films lately.

That is one bold statement though. I mean, have you SEEN Schindlers List? I still argue to this day that it is filmically, and technically, the greatest film ever made by an American.

As for underated films hmmmmmm.

1984(exactly as I pictured the book, the many times that I have read it)
Never Cry Wolf (still in my top ten)
Dances with Wolves (although it won numerous oscars, no one really mentions it anymore)
About 400-500 foriegn films that still haven't seen the light of day in contemporary American culture, because people can't or don't like to read.

Oh and I just saw Punch Drunk Love, wow, how come more people weren't talking about this masterpiece. It made me want to fall in love and get married the same night!

Iskaral Pust
August 26th, 2003, 08:04 AM
Well, maybe not better, but not worse. It follows a Jewish pianist living in Warsaw during the second world war.
The Others reminds me of the Sixth Sense in that it's style and general feel. It has an excellent twist at the end.

Stewart
August 26th, 2003, 04:50 PM
I don't know why everybody hates it so much. I love that movie.

nobody
August 26th, 2003, 08:53 PM
I don't hate the postman, but it was another movie that doesn't even get close to living up to the book.

Stewart
August 26th, 2003, 11:13 PM
I hated the book! I thought it was too short and that David Brin could've done far better than what he put out.

Bond
August 30th, 2003, 07:13 AM
Not sure about the years but here are some I've already mentioned in other threads:

Here Comes Mr. Jordan (1941)
Heaven Can Wait (1943)
King's Row
Dead of Night (1945)
The Picture of Dorian Grey
Portrait of Jennie
The Court Jester
Pillow Talk (1959)
One, Two, Three (1961)
The Manchurian Candidate
Three Days of the Condor
The Joy Luck Club
Good Will Hunting

In honor of three recent old Hollywood greats who passed away this year here are three of their less well known flms I enjoyed and would recommend:

Bob Hope - Monsieur Beaucaire
Katharine Hepburn - Holiday
Gregory Peck - Mirage

A clue to my sensibilities: Schindler's List? Bladerunner? I prefer Minority Report to both.

Gildor
August 30th, 2003, 03:26 PM
I can understand prefering minority report to blade runnner, but schindlers list was a magnificent film.

On the subject of magnificent films, has any one seen Citizen Kane ?
Voiced by many as being one of the greatest films of all time and yet having never veiwed it and seen it top a good deal of film charts, I have never met anyone who has seen the film
Its probably not an under-rated film, but if it is the masterpiece it is supposed to be, and hardly any people seem to have watched it and yet it is still recognised as one of the greatest films ever made ? :confused:

saintjon
August 30th, 2003, 04:31 PM
Gattaca

Les Miserables with Liam Neeson and Geoffrey Rush. So, SOOOOO good.

The Outlaw Josey Wales with Clint Eastwood.

milamber_reborn
August 31st, 2003, 12:19 AM
Dark City, one of my fav films. Don't know about the rest of the world, but it only got a limited release in Australia.

Van Wilder - guess it comes down to a matter of taste

Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story - Don't know well it did but I love this movie.