PDA

View Full Version : Do you remember this YA sci-fi title?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

C Hosler
August 29th, 2003, 11:29 AM
Hi there... I'm trying to locate a book that I remember reading around 1987. All I remember (unfortunately) is the basic plot, no author or title.

The story was about a girl who had grown up on a harsh alien world. She and her father had arrived in advance of a colonization effort. After her father's death, she was left alone on the planet, helped and protected by some kind of robot/computer guardian. Years later, a whole party of colonists arrive, and she falls in love with one of the young men, watching him from afar. But when she approaches the colonists, they are terrified of her. It's only then that she learns that her "guardian" had to genetically alter her physical makeup -- giving her thick, scaley skin, feet with claws, etc. -- to allow her to survive and thrive in the alien environment. The colonists living in the valleys down below "her mountains" look on her not as human, but as a monster.

Sound familiar? Thanks for any help or hints you can provide! :)

lemming
August 29th, 2003, 02:45 PM
Keeper of the Isis Light by Monica Hughes, and the best news is that it's back in print! Amazon has it. :D

This is probably my second-favorite YA SF book. So glad to hear someone else remembers it.

confused
August 30th, 2003, 11:55 AM
Monica Hughes wrote so many really good books :-) How about Crisis on Conshelf 10 ? and was there a book in the same series set on the Moon ?

here's a question, while we're on Children's literature : book, set in New York, about a boy who mocks an eastern guru, and wakes up as a dog. He has major problems getting down the stairs, then goes off and tries to attract attention by writing in the dust, and fails. He ends up in New York, being a seeing eye dog for a musician. Any ideas about author/title ?

*******************spoiler***********************
and at the end he gets turned back into a boy while awaiting death in the dog pound.

C Hosler
August 30th, 2003, 12:25 PM
Thank you so much, lemming! That's totally it. I can't believe I'm going to be able to read this book again after 15 years. I'm ordering a copy today!

:) :) :)

Just out of curiosity, lemming, what's your favorite YA SF book?

lemming
August 30th, 2003, 01:37 PM
Course it was, C Hosler. Your description was so detailed and accurate I had no doubt. Enjoy the reread... I think it stands the test of adult scrutiny, and hope you think the same. :) Oh, and by the way, I first came to this board just like you did, in search of a short story I couldn't quite recall, so I'm always always happy to help. :D

My very favorite YA SF book is Emergence by David R. Palmer. Completely wonderful book, and just as completely out of print last time I checked. Has anyone else here even heard of it?

And confused, sorry, I dunno what your dog/boy book is. :confused:

Duraccione
August 30th, 2003, 05:11 PM
Sorry for the silly question, but...what does "YA sci-fi" mean? :confused:

Hobbit
August 30th, 2003, 08:26 PM
YA = 'young adult' = books designed to be read by (approximately) 13 - 17 year olds/ teenagers - what we used to call 'juvenile'

Sci-fi = science fiction.

Hobbit

Duraccione
August 31st, 2003, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by Hobbit
YA = 'young adult' = books designed to be read by (approximately) 13 - 17 year olds/ teenagers - what we used to call 'juvenile'

Understood. Thank you! :)

Hobbit
August 31st, 2003, 02:19 PM
No problem, Duraccione! :)

Confused - your book sounds familiar, but I can't put my finger on the name or title... yet! I'll keep thinking about it.

Hobbit

C Hosler
October 13th, 2003, 11:47 PM
Hey, lemming ... I just finished reading "Keeper of the Isis Light," and it wasn't as good as I remembered it. It was BETTER! Thanks so much!

By the way, did you ever read the two other Isis books by Monica Hughes? Were they worth reading?

C Hosler