PDA

View Full Version : Stirling's "Draka" series

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

mycroft
August 29th, 2003, 01:22 PM
I've read and re-read Stirling's "Draka" books, and enjoyed them immensely! Does anyone know if Stirling has plans for a continuation of the series, or at the very least, a sequel to "Drakon", a stand-alone extension of the Draka future?

Further, are there any Jack McDevitt fans out there? Would like to discuss his books with anyone. Thanks.

Hobbit
August 29th, 2003, 04:16 PM
Greetings mycroft - welcome to the Forum!

As for Steve Stirling, the latest information I have is that he has co-written a Midkemia book with Ray Feist (Jimmy the Hand) which is out in the UK (not sure about anywhere else yet).

As for his own work, the David Drake website here - look under The General section (http://www.david-drake.com/general) says that he is suffering with carpal tunnel syndrome and therefore his writing has slowed at the moment. You might want to check off his old stuff here (http://www.baen.com/author_catalog.asp?author=smstirling) if you didn't know these already.

As for Jack McDevitt, there's a few people round here like his stuff. If you put a search in, using the words 'Jack McDevitt', you should get a list of earlier threads about his work. You can then join in where you think fit.

Hobbit

mycroft
August 29th, 2003, 04:36 PM
HOBBIT:- Tnx for quick reposte...but the Stirling I refer to is S. M.
Stirling...mea culpas for the F.U. He wrote "marching Through Georgia", "Under the Yoke" and "The Stone Dogs"...a trilogy concerning the Draka, a Hun-like race of descendants of the off-spring of the American revolution survivors who spread out from South Africa (in their time-line), and conquered the world in a very brutal but effective fashion. I have been waiting with bated breath for a sequel...have you heard anything re this???

As for Jack McD., I will follow your suggestions. Thanks muchly for helping out a veritable tyro to your corner of the Cosmos. Best regards, and keep them coming.

Hobbit
August 29th, 2003, 04:47 PM
Yes - know the Draka series, though not that well!

SM Stirling IS Steve/Stephen Michael Stirling, born 1954. It's the same person! He has done lots of collaborations, especially with David Drake, but also with Jerry Pournelle.

As far as I can see he doesn't have his own website.

Hope this helps - but no news on the sequel, I'm afraid!

Hobbit

thrint
September 14th, 2003, 09:41 AM
I just read "Drakon" this last summer. I couldn't wait for that bitch to die. Good book.