View Full Version : Just published POD book for $o.oo

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

gleitzeit
August 31st, 2003, 09:13 PM
Hello:
I thought that if I try this service it would be clear what quality of printing could POD produce.

I uploaded all my essays and text that was previously distributed over the WWW.

A complete manuscript of the art book on Paul Jaisini's art I intent to self-publish.

But now I am curious what would be delivered by Fed Ex from the company that POD without even charging a buck.

Any one interested could check the link below.

http://www.lulu.com/Paul-Jaisini

James Barclay
September 2nd, 2003, 05:37 PM
Welcome to the boards... I think.

To be honest, I'm not sure what you're driving at here. If you are promoting your POD company, please don't, this is not the place for it.

If you have entered into a POD deal, I hope you have all the necessary paperwork regarding contracts and copyright. Let's face it, this company is unlikely to be a charitable organisation. They will be trying to make money somewhere along the line and if that is through using your rights to your work, you need to be very careful.

Hopefully, they are following the traditional model nad earning their profit through sales.

KATS
September 2nd, 2003, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by NOM
Hopefully, they are following the traditional model nad earning their profit through sales.

I am looking into this organization. I've reviewed their site and several red flags went up.

For now perhaps the best course of action is to adhering to the old motto . . . If it seems too good to be true, it is.

Kimberly
a/k/a KATS

Richardb
September 4th, 2003, 05:58 PM
The first warning sign I saw was a $35 charge for an ISBN number. Frankly, without one of those, it is not a book, and not sellable, just a bound collection of pages you can personally give out or sell, but not something that can be marketed through any real distribution. Then, another $85 for a cover, etc, etc.
Free is generally not free. POD costs money, and if you go that route, then good for you (I happily published POD and love the result) but don't fool yourself about it being free, or of what the value will be.
Invest in a good POD if you want to go to market that way. Find one that only selects decent work to publish, one that edits it as part of the package, and does lay out, and find one that includes assigning an ISBN!
You get what you pay for, and the return will be commensurate with the investment (time, money, whatever). I know of a number of really great POD publishers, who are focussed on offering an alternate route to market for writers. They offer various services at an easily visible up front dollar amount. This amount helps cover costs and some value is returned for it. Short of that, then POD is truly all of the worst things it is accused of being...
Do whatever makes you happy, but don't be fooled into thinking you got something for nothing.