PDA

View Full Version : Forgotten Realms the Mills & Boon of Fantasy?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5

Kanin
September 4th, 2003, 08:55 PM
The Dragonlance Chronicles were the first fantasy books that I read. I read them when they first came out way back in the 80's. I still enjoy them today.

I've read the Icewind Dale Trilogy and liked it better than the Dark Elf series. Spellfire by Ed Greenwood has to be the worst book ever written. I can't believe it was ever published.

Richard Knaak writes some great books for Dragonlance. Especially his minotaur books. The Citadel by Knaak is horrible though, I couldn't even finish it.

The books are lighter reading, but that doesn't make them worse than anything Jordan or Goodkind has written.

If you read Dragonlance, stick with the Chronicles and Legends. They are the best.

jbcohen
September 5th, 2003, 06:53 AM
Everyone that I know of including myself would agree that Chronicles and Legends are the best of the Dragon Lance novels, no argument there. The trouble is that if this is all that you read then you are missing out on a lot of the saga. You will be missing out on a true understanding of the Kender and Minotaurs as well as many of the other colorful races that make up the population of Krynn. There are a lot of excellent novels in the series, but Wiess and Hickman are sort of like the grandmasters of Dragon Lance. Everyone has agreed that everything they write is top-notch quality writing. I would, however, urge that you go on to read some of the other books in the saga. Some of the newer novels are even better then the older ones, in my opinion.

Although Wizards makes most of its money from Forgotten Realms, I still think that there are many advantages to the Dragon Lance saga. You are missing out on a lot if you stick strictly to Weiss and Hickman novels.

Kanin
September 5th, 2003, 08:45 AM
You know, I've read Stormblade, Weasle's Luck, Darkness & Light, Tanis; the Shadow Years, and The Elven Nations Trilogy.

Apart from the Elven Nations Trilogy, I would probably never re-read any of them. They just aren't that good. I also see that the newer books are by the same authors as some of the older ones that I've read and I wasn't impressed by them.

Plus, I really didn't like the whole War of Souls.

The only books that I would probably read would be Richard Knaak's current minotaur books. Night of Blood isn't it?

Erfael
September 5th, 2003, 09:36 AM
As poorly as most of it is written, I am more than happy to leave it at Chronicles and Legends and "miss out" on all the time I feel I would waste reading the rest of them.

jbcohen
September 5th, 2003, 10:56 AM
Well Dragon Lance is not for everyone. I freely acknowledge that some people will not care for the novels. They tend to be a bit on the formulaic side and not as fast paced as some people would like. I tend to go elsewhere when I want action packed novels.

Guymelef
September 5th, 2003, 01:32 PM
I dont really buy them anymore, but i must own 75 (ok not that many, but a sizable amount) from when i was 10-12. I think they are great for young kids, the whole mage, knight, cleric thing isnt tired for them and provides a good adventure and whatnot.

I still buy wiess/hickman hardcovers though, partyly out of childhood loyalty.

jbcohen
September 5th, 2003, 01:47 PM
A lot of the people that I have heard from are adults and still read Dragon Lance. They like the whole magic and knight environment as a way to take a break from the drudgery of reality in which they live their lives. I tend to like to read Dragon Lance for the same reason. Its nice to take a break now and then from this world we live in now and then and visit another far away place where things are completely different.

I am interested in the fact that no one has mentioned any of the other sagas from Wizards of the Coast namely the Legends of the Five Rings and Magic: The Gathering.

vxcz
September 5th, 2003, 02:42 PM
Well, I heard that Greenwood, Cunningham are good,

Greenwood is bad. very bad. its painfull. hes the fella that invented forgotton realms, it was his d&d realm he used with his gaming group or something.. anyhow he writes as if its a documented rpg where he's roled dice to see what happens,.. but he dont even make a good job of that.. his main character is a god-like mage who brings down dragons without breaking stride. standing joke in d&d that if gamesmaster sets too difficult a challenge you give up and let Elminster clear it up on lunchbreak

bleh

Cunnungham couldnt be more different, shes even pretty good by mainstream fantasy standards. the first few books of 'song and swords' (?) are witty, fluid reads. but it feels like shes runnign out of steam on the (floodgate? magehound?) series.

generel rule: skip FR unless your a fan of the (excelent) computer games

Kanin
September 5th, 2003, 04:36 PM
I agree. Greenwood is awful !

I can't believe they publish his books. He must be blackmailing them or something.

Spellfire is the worst book of all time.

jbcohen
September 5th, 2003, 09:43 PM
Anyone care to join a discussion board devoted to just Forgotten Realms novels? Try the linke below:

http://boards1.wizards.com/