PDA

View Full Version : Forgotten Realms the Mills & Boon of Fantasy?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5

allanon
September 6th, 2003, 12:16 AM
Jbcohen, is it true that the Chronicles was played before it was written?

Kanin
September 6th, 2003, 08:49 AM
It's true.

There was actually modules before the books. The guy who played Raistlin gave him the whisper, hourglass eyes and golden skin.

Larry Elmore did some paintings and the authors drew off from them as to how the characters looked and acted.

There's a brief summary of how it all came to be in from of The Art of Dragonlance

allanon
September 7th, 2003, 12:42 AM
Is the same story with "Legends"?

Kanin
September 7th, 2003, 08:33 AM
No, I don't think so. They just played out the first book of Chronicles and maybe some of the second. They just took off from there.

jbcohen
September 7th, 2003, 10:40 AM
Sorry I have not been paying attention. I have been a bit busy off-line the last two days. No for the answer to your question. No, the books really came first prior to anything else being done with them. Initially the games were an after thought until TSR decided to expand the business into the role playing gaming market. The books really touched off the idea for the Dragon Lance setting. Although Forgotten Realms is and remains the mainstay of the Wizards of the Coast business.

Kanin
September 7th, 2003, 03:33 PM
jbcohen

I disagree. If you read the front of The Art of Dragonlance, you'll see how the whole Dragonlance Saga came together. They role-played first, and then the first book came out of that role-playing session.

Does Forgotten Realms really out-sell Dragonlance? Where did you get this info?

Nimea
September 7th, 2003, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by jbcohen
No for the answer to your question. No, the books really came first prior to anything else being done with them. Initially the games were an after thought until TSR decided to expand the business into the role playing gaming market. The books really touched off the idea for the Dragon Lance setting.

Nope.
First of all, TSR started as a publisher of roleplaying games, to be exact: they invented the very first roleplaying game Dungeons&Dragons.
I can't resist: anyone wants to know more about the history of D&D, read here (http://www.indie-rpgs.com/articles/20/).

Tracy Hickman was hired by TSR as a game designer and he already had the idea for Dragonlance. Together with Margaret Weis, who was the editor of the new book departement of TSR, he wrote the first pages of the Chronicles.

How exactly it went together with playing I don't know, but they did play something - Raistlin was made up by a player in a test round for one of the first Dragonlance modules.

If someone wants to read about it, look at Tracy Hickman's homepage (http://www.trhickman.com).

jbcohen
September 7th, 2003, 06:22 PM
First, I make no pretext to never make mistakes. Second, the answer I gave actually came from a long time employee of TSR then Wizards of the Coast.

allanon
September 7th, 2003, 11:30 PM
Jbcohen, any idea how much FR and DL are actually selling?

jbcohen
September 8th, 2003, 01:36 PM
From what I have heard of on some web sites Dragon Lance is actually the third best selling fantasy series. It is surpassed by Lord of the Rings and Star Wars, in that order. Now this is just what I am told, I make no pretexts to be correct all of the time. The reason that Dragon Lance is doing so well is that there are over one hundred novels and more being published all of the time. A big draw for readers seems to be Caramon and Kitra. The men I hear from seem to like to talk about what Kitra would look like if you saw her walking down the hallway. Caramon seems to do the same for the women that I hear from. Now that both of them are dead people seem to be looking towards Linsha, Caramonís granddaughter. Still others tell me that the reason they like Dragon Lance is Tass. Everyone appears to identify the little guy.

As for Forgotten Realms, I really have no idea. I have never been interested in Forgotten Realms although I have tried to get interested.

Does anyone want to know anything about Dragon Lance? Please feel free to pick my brain. I have every Dragon Lance ever written I am always happy to have to go back to the books to come up with the right answers.