PDA

View Full Version : Forgotten Realms the Mills & Boon of Fantasy?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5

allanon
September 9th, 2003, 12:31 AM
OK... I have read only "Chronicles" and "Legends" and I' interested is there a breeds of dragons, more powerful than the Gold and the Red? And, after all, who is stronger - Red type or Gold type?

Kanin
September 9th, 2003, 08:06 AM
The Red dragons(Evil) and Gold dragons (good) are suppose to be evenly matched. But, since they are good, I'd go with the Gold dragons!:)

Kanin
September 9th, 2003, 08:07 AM
Not until the War of Souls, do you get to see more powerful dragons than red and gold.

jbcohen
September 9th, 2003, 10:39 AM
Kanin has it right but I need to throw in a little bit of information here. The way you can tell the strength of a Dragon Lance dragon is by the size of the dragon. A dragon will grow in size and magic strength naturally as it ages, but can also gain strength and size by ingesting each other. When this is done the victor dragon will typically take off the head of the looser and place the head onto a pile referred to as a totem. The more heads a dragon can accumulate on the totem the stronger and larger it gets. At the present time the largest is probably malays. Dragons of equal size are thought of as evenly matched.

There are two types of dragons: Metallic (good), and Chromatic (evil). Chromatic are typically colors such as red, blue, green, white and red. Metallic ones are gold, silver and bronze.

Ogier
September 9th, 2003, 10:44 AM
And then there's also the shadow dragon type...

allanon
September 10th, 2003, 01:01 AM
Yeah, I'm interested in that. What is a Shadow Dragon and what are some of the new types of dragons, those mentioned by Kanin? Tell me, don't be shy, I love spoilers about monsters!

Nimea
September 12th, 2003, 01:25 PM
It just came to my mind: anyone ever read any of the 'Birthright' novels?

'Birthright' used to be a campaign setting for AD&D and they published about half a dozen.

I read the first four paperbacks because I liked the background world, but only the very first one was really good.
It's called 'The Iron Throne' written by Simon Hawke.
At least I remember it being really good, I read it years and years ago . . .

Mmh, don't mind. Just had to mention it.

;)

jbcohen
September 13th, 2003, 01:11 PM
To the best of my knowledge the shadow dragon was one of the Krynnish gods with a different outward appearance. I donít have the wisdom of Paladine, but I whish I had. Also I know nothing about Forgotten Realms.

kegasaurus
September 13th, 2003, 01:22 PM
The spelljammer books, how do these fit in with Dragonlance, FR and TSR books in general? Also was Legend of Huma as good as I remember? It is one of the reasons I read fantasy.

Nimea
September 13th, 2003, 02:14 PM
Spelljammer is another campaign setting of AD&D, so in itself it is a setting on its own.
But - all the worlds (and campaign settings) of (A)D&D are part of the mulitverse.
You can travel for example from Krynn (the Dragonlance world) to Toril (the world of the Forgotten Realms) or to Oerth (the world of Greyhawk) and to the city of Sigil - its all connected. That's where the planes come in and 'Planescape', yet another campaign setting (the weirdest and with the best design IMO).
With Spelljammer ships you can travel around in one of the universes - I can't say for sure, but I think with special ships you can cross over into another sphere/universe.

I don't really know about the special dragons on Krynn, but there is one kind of dragons that's called Shadow Dragon - just like a Gold Dragon or a Yellow Dragon or a Steel Dragon . . . (A)D&D has a lot of them.
But I don't really know anything about Dragonlance since the 5th Age. ;)