PDA

View Full Version : Forgotten Realms the Mills & Boon of Fantasy?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5]

allanon
September 14th, 2003, 12:48 AM
Excuse me? Is it not Phaerun the world of Forgotten Realms?

Erfael
September 14th, 2003, 12:55 AM
allanon, Faerun is the continent that most of the rubbish takes place on. There are other continents that a few other bad books took place on. All of them are on the orb Abeir Toril (I think that's the spelling).

Kanin
September 14th, 2003, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by kegasaurus
The spelljammer books, how do these fit in with Dragonlance, FR and TSR books in general? Also was Legend of Huma as good as I remember? It is one of the reasons I read fantasy.

The Legend of Huma is a great book. As is Richard Knaak's other minotaur books. Just don't read his The Citadel. Awful. Can't believe its by the same writer.

I've just recently reread The Legend of Huma. It still holds up.

jbcohen
September 14th, 2003, 02:46 PM
Well nimea has the question basically correct, but I need to throw in a bit of information here in order for this topic to be totally discussed. Spelljamer is another of the Wizard sagas that was discontinued some time ago. The saga starts in the fourth age (Age of Sorrows) on Krynn and leads the characters off into space surrounding the planet. So its sort of like an adjunct to Dragon Lance.

Nimea
September 14th, 2003, 04:38 PM
Ehm, only the novels.
They start on Krynn and head over to Toril - as far as I know.

The Spelljammer setting itself was not a spin-off from Dragonlance.

jbcohen, did you read all six spelljammer books? Just wondering, they were all written by different authors, but Nigel Findley among them. That was a really creative man, writing roleplaying games and novels for diverse worlds, including Shadowrun - these books at least were really good. Unfortunately he died some years ago, way too early.

allanon
September 15th, 2003, 12:22 AM
Thanks for the info, Erfael!

jbcohen
September 15th, 2003, 02:13 PM
I admit it, I have not read all of the spelljammer books. As I stated earlier in this thread my specialty is Dragon Lance not SpellJamer. As a consequence SpellJammer interests me because of its relationship to Krynn, but I have not completed reading all of them.