PDA

View Full Version : Model Writers

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Darknel
September 4th, 2003, 04:04 PM
Much as an artist begins to develop his skill by copying past masters, so I believe writers learn through reading (critically) the works of others. Indeed I have found the advice of many pro's to aspirants is to read as much as possible.
For my own part I've used writers from across genre's; can anyone match Dicken's talent for parenthsis, or (more contestably) Steven Erikson's grasp of dialogue.
The purpose of this thread then, is to ask who everyone else uses as a guide? In my experience in the sphere of fantasy and sci-fi (if not most contemporary literature) one must look somewhat off the beaten track for truly quality writing. Not wishing to name any particular writers, but most of the mainstream prolific writers -achoo (Stephen King) - tend to lack a certain finesse in narrative style. And before I cause any further offense, I think I'll leave it at that.

KATS
September 5th, 2003, 09:09 PM
I love many writers. Poe for instance had a major impact on my writing, specifically the deliberateness in which he choice each word. But it's hard to pick just one. I enjoy so many writer, all of whom have strenths in different areas in the craft of writing.

Kimberly
a/k/a KATS

milamber_reborn
September 6th, 2003, 01:30 AM
Martin is having a good effect on my writing.