New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Icemant90
September 6th, 2003, 02:35 PM
Who likes dragonball/z/gt?
What's your favourite part?

I don't have it, though I downloaded ep.1 of GT!:P
Even though it was in japanese. The jap. theme is COOL! It had english subtitles so I was o.k.

Dominus
September 6th, 2003, 02:41 PM
I used to like Dragonball Z a few years ago, but then the episodes got repeated too many times, and the already feeble plot succumbed to atrophy, so no, I don't like any of the Dragonball shows anymore.

Bear
September 6th, 2003, 03:06 PM
About ten years ago, I was really into Dragon Ball Z. I never liked the series overly much, but I had imported all the movies (subtitled by people who aren't that great with english) and watched them constantly. I think it warped my middle school mind. Having watched the show recently, I remembered why I didn't like it (the most pointless dialogue ever), but I still dig the movies, if for nothing more than nostalgia.

Stewart
September 6th, 2003, 09:00 PM
That has to be the most repetetive and most crappy overall show ever made. Give me a Gundam any day thank you very much!

Bear
September 7th, 2003, 03:45 AM
Gundam? Nah. I'd take Evangelion over any anime series you can throw at me. Now that one had an original story, and it was one of the most engrossing and haunting animes ever made.

saintjon
September 7th, 2003, 10:54 AM
I'll take Cowboy Bebop over all 3 personally :D.

I dunno, DBZ has some fun moments, but it just gets too ridiculous after awhile. A solid argument (as most open-ended series are these days) for long-term planning of a finite story arc.

Like you watch something like Cowboy Bebop or Evangelion and you're actually getting a whole story with an ending, instead of the writers scratching their heads and trying to think of ways to inject new excitement into a dead concept. I find I like watching reruns of series like this more as well cuz it's easier to find your place and I liked it more the first time around. I hope a real visionary of a tv producer is reading this :(

Icemant90
September 7th, 2003, 12:33 PM
PM me and give me e-mail address and I will send you jap. theme tune. Have no idea what it means! It's cool though.

Kaz
September 7th, 2003, 12:41 PM
I think the last time I watched Dragonball Z was, erm........ag hell, I can't remember. I was stoned off me brackets abd the story made absolutely no sense at all. I remember there was a green monster doing something to some little boy or getting his backside kicked. It was just really stupid.

Dominus
September 7th, 2003, 02:35 PM
Green monster? I can think of at least 3 of those off the top of my head. And purple ones. An anime series with a good story would be awesome...but chances are it'd be too violent/sexy or whatever for it to appeal to some network over here.

Bear
September 7th, 2003, 03:13 PM
I enjoyed Beebop, too, but Eva is my all time favorite anime series. I've never gotten as "into" one as much as I did that. And watching it four years later only made me enjoy it more, because I actually understood a lot more.

Another great anime show was Escaflowne. Had a good story, an amazing soundtrack and some fantastic mech designs. I never saw the US releases, which they usually butcher, but the fansubs I had were really good, if a little cheesy at times.

And Adult Swim recently ran Furi Kuri, which I thought was fantastic. I hadn't seen it for a few years and I'd forgotten how delightfully bizarre that set was. And the Pillows, a really good band, were responsible for that soundtrack, which really added to the show.

But I can't sit through an episode of DBZ. I hate the dubbing, and when I actually know what they're talking about, I cringe. Watching them in unsubbed Japanese left a lot more room for our imagination, and we always imagined they were saying something cool. Though, what I thought was cool in the eigth grade probably wasnt worth hearing either.