PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else think that Elrond in the LOTR films is wrong?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Ickle Lulu
September 12th, 2003, 10:08 AM
Hi everyone.
Just wondering here whether I'm the only person out there who kind of thinks that the guy who plays Elrond in the Lord of the Rings films is miscast?
It seems to me that his facial expressions and tones of voice hardly ever change. Also i thought Tolkien tried to put him across as a benevolent kind of person but he always looks like he's pissed off about something or else he's suffering from chronic constipation.............
anyone else see this too?
If not i'll resign myself to the fact that it is just me!:)

kegasaurus
September 12th, 2003, 10:15 AM
That's unfortunately Sam Neills look. The fact that they emphasised his cheekbones didn't help him in the slightest, though if you saw death in brunswick, you would realise the scope of the mans magnificance.

AuntiePam
September 12th, 2003, 11:35 AM
He was good in Priscilla, Queen of the Desert too.

I think he's fine though, if a bit constipated-looking, like you said.

scooter13
September 12th, 2003, 12:51 PM
Actually the actor is Hugo Weaving. Very talented actor. Done a lot of stage work. He also plays Agent Smith in the Matrix Trilogy. I actually like him. Of course it was so long ago that I read LOTR (almost 20 years ago) that I vaguely remember much.

http://us.imdb.com/name/nm0915989/

kegasaurus
September 12th, 2003, 01:14 PM
I always think of the two of them as the same person. (Mental condition.)

Hugo - Mr anti-technology - is a star of Australian screen and stage and had no affiliation with daeth in brunswick.

Legolas
September 12th, 2003, 01:20 PM
He's a great computer program in the Matrix but he isn't a good Elrond. It bothers me because Elves should be fair which implies attractive. He seems to be a good actor but wrong for that role.

AuntiePam
September 12th, 2003, 03:06 PM
I've associated "fair" with skin tone more than attractiveness, but you're probably right -- fair probably means good-looking.

Still, I think he's attractive. Elrond is very old, and the actor's face has great character -- that makes me think he was a good choice for Elrond.

Evil Agent
September 12th, 2003, 05:35 PM
You're wrong!!! :)

As a die-hard LOTR freak, I must defend Hugo Weaving as a very good choice for Elrond. I didn't think so at FIRST, but he QUICKLY grew on me... Same with Sean Bean as Boromir.... At first I was like "meh," but now he RULES!

milamber_reborn
September 13th, 2003, 12:24 AM
He did a good job, but he was a little stiff. Maybe he's just not one for showing emotions. Can't remember his demenour in the book.

Briar Flea
September 13th, 2003, 12:46 AM
One must remember that the movie is not the book. Although he does not really resemble Elrond in the book, he is a very good match for the movie.

They played around with all the characters in ways which I am sure would displease Tolkien.

The only character in the movie or rather, movies, which I think was totally wrong was Gollum.

( Twenty seconds on a soap box )

BF