SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

The_Khan
March 20th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Well it's official!!!

The Dresden Files: Welcome to the Jungle Nominated for a Hugo Award!

http://anticipationsf.ca/English/Hugos

sic's mom
March 20th, 2009, 04:23 PM
Well it's official!!!

The Dresden Files: Welcome to the Jungle Nominated for a Hugo Award!

http://anticipationsf.ca/English/Hugos

Even though I haven't read this one yet (not big on graphic novels) this is one I want to read. And since this is probably one of my favorite series' to begin with I really hope it wins.

Justin2209
March 23rd, 2009, 11:23 AM
I'm not a huge comic book fan myself but I did really enjoy this. I'm really looking forward to the next one. He mentioned in an interview (not sure where) that there are plans to write on about events between Storm Front and Fool Moon once the Storm Front comic is complete.

JMX7114
March 29th, 2009, 11:55 AM
I didn't really get into the TV series until I'd read a couple of the books - bought the DVD of the full season and thoroughly enjoyed the series - STILL upset that they didn't continue it. Just finished reading Small Favor - thoroughly enjoyed it!!!! Turn Coat is due to be released next month (April 2009) - might just have to quit being a cheapskate and buy that in hard back.

Eldanuumea
March 29th, 2009, 06:54 PM
I mostly enjoyed the series, but was upset that they did away with the rune staff. And the person playing Harry.....he just didn't seem right for the part.

I guess those front cover illustrations gave me a deeply embedded notion of what Harry looks like.:o

sic's mom
March 29th, 2009, 07:09 PM
I really didn't care for the show. Too much was changed from the books, and I absolutely love the books. And you are right, the guy that played Harry just didn't do it for me. I might have liked the series more if the actor seemed a bit more like Harry. But then I think I am just a little in love with Harry and no one is going to fit the bill:)

Seegee
March 30th, 2009, 06:39 AM
I really didn't care for the show. Too much was changed from the books, and I absolutely love the books. And you are right, the guy that played Harry just didn't do it for me. I might have liked the series more if the actor seemed a bit more like Harry. But then I think I am just a little in love with Harry and no one is going to fit the bill:)
I actually thought Paul Blackthorne was very like Harry, not quite tall enough, but how many 6'8" leading men are there out there? He also wasn't as ugly as Harry describes himself, but then again this is TV who wants to watch an ugly guy? James Marsters (who reads the audio books) was their first choice, but turned it down. Marsters is an excellent actor, but would have been wrong for this role, I could see him as Harry's half brother Thomas, though and not just because Thomas is a vampire.

JMX7114
April 3rd, 2009, 09:42 AM
I'm with you on this one Seegee. thought Blackthorne was a more than adequate guy to play Harry Dresden.........I'd love to see this program back on SciFi - definetely would prefer it over all this "Ghost Hunters" crap!!!

Seak
April 3rd, 2009, 10:37 AM
I was fine with Harry, it was Bob that I couldn't get over.

KatG
April 3rd, 2009, 11:53 AM
I thought Blackthorne was great as Harry. I also wasn't thrilled about Bob, but I understood that they felt the need to have a person in the role for Blackthorne to play against, rather than just a talking skull most of the time. So instead of a spirit, he was a ghost and his backstory wasn't too bad.

What I didn't like was that not only did they rewrite the stories -- which did need to be simplified in number of plotlines for some of them -- but they also changed Harry's background and they changed the whole mythology. Instead of vampires being what they were in the series, vampires just became standard vampires, and so on. They kept the essence -- noir detective who uses magic -- which is fun, but not exactly new to t.v. or anywhere else -- and threw out most of the rest, even though it was perfectly easy to follow. So it could have been any series, really.

I still watched it, though, and thought they were getting better, but it didn't last.