View Full Version : Dresden Files

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

kmgrey
April 20th, 2009, 11:48 AM
And, as long as Butcher is in the number 1 slot, no Twilight novel can occupy it. So I can be happy.

NYT actually has a separate YA list which is where Twilight dwells.

mjolnir
April 20th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Kmgrey Wrote:

Ah, yes, I'd forgotten. Wasn't it created when Harry Potter was growing up, partially in response to Rowling's success? I'm not sure I'm big on the separation.
________
Honda nsr500 specifications (http://www.honda-wiki.org/wiki/Honda_NSR500)

Alle
April 20th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Just finished reading Turn Coat and I enjoyed it quite a bit. Very nice to hear Butcher is on the NY Times Bestsellers list. :)

hippokrene
April 20th, 2009, 08:31 PM
So how is the newest Dresden book?

According to my mother, it's 'good, really good.'

The Host, which is Stephanie Meyer's latest book, is number 3 on the NYT Bestseller List.

mjolnir
April 21st, 2009, 12:07 AM
Hippokrene Wrote:
The Host, which is Stephanie Meyer's latest book, is number 3 on the NYT Bestseller List.

Yes, yes it is. And it has been there consistently in the upper slots of the list for months. I actually don't think it's ever dropped off at all, since its publication in May last year. Really quite amazing.

Edit: But we were talking about Harry Dresden. This may have been mentioned upthread, but I noticed whilst browsing one of my favourite genre review blogs, [A Dribble of Ink, to be precise], that Butcher has sold a Dresden-specific short story collection. It will apparently contain both old and new tales, [though how the man has the time to write them is beyond me], and is expected in autumn 2010. It currently has no title.

And now, if you'll excuse me, ... must stay away from Turn Coat spoilers.
________
LAND ROVER DEFENDER SPECIFICATIONS (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Land_Rover_Defender)

hippokrene
April 21st, 2009, 01:58 AM
Yes, yes it is. And it has been there consistently in the upper slots of the list for months. I actually don't think it's ever dropped off at all, since its publication in May last year. Really quite amazing.

*checks* You're right! It came out in May of last year. That's awesome; way to go Stephenie.

Yet another reason I scratch my head when people ask if speculative fiction will ever go mainstream.

kmgrey
April 21st, 2009, 02:11 PM

Right, because that one is published as an adult novel so it is included on the Normal Fiction list. The Twilight series books are included on the Series Books section of their Children's Lists.

Rob B
April 22nd, 2009, 12:56 PM
Edit: But we were talking about Harry Dresden. This may have been mentioned upthread, but I noticed whilst browsing one of my favourite genre review blogs, [A Dribble of Ink, to be precise], that Butcher has sold a Dresden-specific short story collection. It will apparently contain both old and new tales, [though how the man has the time to write them is beyond me], and is expected in autumn 2010. It currently has no title.

And now, if you'll excuse me, ... must stay away from Turn Coat spoilers.
I can guestimate the stories to be included:
Backup (http://www.sffworld.com/brevoff/491.html) a novella published last year by Subterranean Press
His entry in the recent Mean Streets 4-story anthology
His entry in a vampire-themed anthology from a couple of years ago.

I recently passed Storm Front along to my mother who (let the cliche begin) doesn't really read fantasy and she loved the book. Can't wait to get more. Good thing for her Mother's Day and her birthday is 'round the corner. Now I just need to convince my wife to read them....

kmgrey
April 22nd, 2009, 01:55 PM
I can guestimate the stories to be included:
Backup (http://www.sffworld.com/brevoff/491.html) a novella published last year by Subterranean Press
His entry in the recent Mean Streets 4-story anthology
His entry in a vampire-themed anthology from a couple of years ago.

Wikipedia has a list of the Dresden short stories. In addition to Backup there is:

Short stories

* "Restoration of Faith" (short story)
* "Publicity and Advertising" (vignette)
* "Something Borrowed" (short story), published in My Big Fat Supernatural Wedding (October 3, 2006, ISBN 0-312-34360-4)
* "It's My Birthday, Too" (short story), published in Many Bloody Returns (September 4, 2007, ISBN 978-0-441-01522-1)
* "Heorot" (short story), published in My Big Fat Supernatural Honeymoon (December 26, 2007, ISBN 978-0312375041)
* "Harry's Day Off" (short story), published in Blood Lite (October 21, 2008, ISBN 1-4165-6783-6)[9]
* "The Warrior" (short story), published in Mean Streets (January 6, 2009, ISBN 978-0451462497)[10]

Upcoming:

* Untitled short story, to be published in Strange Brew

The first two are available on Butcher's website and the rest are in the applicable anthologies.

Wulfa_Jones
April 23rd, 2009, 11:56 AM
Looking forward to the short story collection, read the two available on his site - they are really short if memory serves me. The one he used to as a sample for publishers interest if quite good.

I've read and enjoyed backup, but none of the others.

Dresden is a great character, wish the TV show had done him more justice.