View Full Version : Dresden Files

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

Eckythump
April 26th, 2009, 09:57 PM
I've only recently come into the Dresden Files. Started reading them early last year, but i love the books. I especialy love the continuity throughout the series. I've just finished Proven Guilty and am about to start White Knight. I have to keep myself from reading the last few pages :/

Rob B
August 10th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Damn is this series entertaining. I just finished book 7, Dead Beat. I know I'm behind a bit, but I think I like it that way. I like knowing I've got a few more to tide me over and don't want to devour them although that isn't an easy thing to actually put into practice!

Anyway, the scene where Harry is trying to drum up some courage in Butters (and he has to be named after the South Park character) made me laugh out loud:

"Thomas is too pretty to die, I'm to stubborn to die. ... And dammit, Butters, Oktoberfest is tomorrow and Polka will never die!"

"Say it Butters!"
"Polka will never die."
"SAY IT BUTTERS!"
"POLKA WILL NEVER DIE!"

or where Harry

rides a re-animated Tyrannosaurus Rex!

KatG
August 11th, 2009, 09:25 AM
Well, shoot, I'd sort of put the series on hold after reading several because I had a lot of other stuff to read, but I may have to start it up again.

xarcostus
August 11th, 2009, 09:15 PM
Question: I found Storm Front to be an awfully trite book with a sexist portrayal of women and way too much deus ex machina going on. I have a friend who insists they get better, but his taste in fiction is rather juvenile in my opinion. Do they get better or can I expect more of the same?

Eventine
August 11th, 2009, 10:19 PM
xarcostus, I asked a similar question when we discussed it as book of the month for book club (http://www.sffworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21686) back in February. The thread's worth a read.

Bastard
October 16th, 2009, 01:04 PM
I'm currently reading Dresden, quite loving the series. Just finished book 9.

Anyways, I have a question about someone that is mentioned in Summer Knight... Dresden talks about a Spenser when he's describing Mab's ass. Who is this Spenser? Haven't seen any mention of him at all during the rest of the series. Is he simply talking about Spenser from the detective novel series by Robert B. Parker?

Psylent
October 16th, 2009, 02:16 PM
In the late 16th century, Edmund Spenser wrote a very famous, incomplete poem called "The Faerie Queene", which is why Harry is referencing him.

Bastard
October 16th, 2009, 02:39 PM
In the late 16th century, Edmund Spenser wrote a very famous, incomplete poem called "The Faerie Queene", which is why Harry is referencing him.
Great, thanks for the tip. It's been driving me nuts.

ottox
October 23rd, 2009, 02:11 PM
Question: I found Storm Front to be an awfully trite book with a sexist portrayal of women and way too much deus ex machina going on. I have a friend who insists they get better, but his taste in fiction is rather juvenile in my opinion. Do they get better or can I expect more of the same?

It will probably disappoint you, but Storm Front is one of the best books in the series. You are right that the Dresden files is somewhat juvenile, especially in its cardboard depiction of characters like Michael and the relationship between Harry Dresden and Karrin Murphy. But these weaknesses are compensated for by the coolness of the main character, the humour, the interesting crime stories and the depiction of the relationship between Harry and the magical characters. You are also right, that there are too many deus ex machina moments in the Dresden Files. This is somewhat disappointing considering that Jim Butcher has proved in his Codex Alera series that he is able to let his heroes find viable and logical solutions to overcome their opponents.

Bastard
October 23rd, 2009, 06:34 PM
Just finished Turn Coat... I read through the 11 books during the last 3 weeks or so... quite a fast pace for me, so you can tell that I really enjoyed them. It really had the right mixture of elements that are perfect for me... interesting characters, good overall plot, good character interaction, lots of humor, great action, and a good pace.

Next on the series, Changes, looks like it's coming out in April. Here's the cover:
http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/9610/jimbutcherchanges.jpg

One thing I miss is the usage of potions... he went away from it after the first 3 books. Though I didn't like how he used the potions to fit the plot of a particular book, I would've thought that he could still incorporate the usage of potions in a better manner. For example, would it be so bad for him to be always carrying that potion he used during Fool Moon that kinda replenished his energy for a chunk of time? I don't know, seems like something cool and useful to have handy at all times.

Anyways, enjoying the series so far. Looking forward to the continuation.