View Full Version : Dresden Files

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23

hawkwind
April 8th, 2010, 09:28 AM
Loved the book as well. And I agree probably one of the best Dresden books. But I was quite surprised by having the "cliffhanger" at the end. All his previous books ended pretty conclusively, except for the overall arc of the Black Council and Red Court. So after reading the ending I am now going crazy having to wait till the next book. I am not sure how Butcher is going to top this one. It had everything you want in a book and was very fast paced from beginning to end.

jackal912
April 8th, 2010, 01:08 PM
Argh - yeah. THAT was some ending. Just enough to make you gnash your teeth over having to wait another year to see what happens. Plus, I have to say that it was probably the most epic book in the series for me - it tied up so many plot threads, and pulled Dresden in interesting ways. I really liked how the circumstances stressed Dresden in ways heretofore unthinkable for him, enough to make him use methods he would have never previously even considered.

I really wonder if (and if so, how) he's going to get out of his.. predicament. ( I have no idea how to use spoiler tags)

Bastard
April 10th, 2010, 01:26 AM
Just finished and really loved the book, and I liked the Cliffhanger as well. As cliffhangers goes, this one isn't problematic. The story that the novel set out to tell got told completely. We simply find ourselves with a surprise ending. Looking forward to the next one.

Bastard
April 13th, 2010, 08:54 AM
Just finished and really loved the book, and I liked the Cliffhanger as well. As cliffhangers goes, this one isn't problematic. The story that the novel set out to tell got told completely. We simply find ourselves with a surprise ending. Looking forward to the next one.
Here's a review for the book from FBC by Mihir Wanchoo (Hyperstorm):
http://fantasybookcritic.blogspot.com/2010/04/changes-dresden-file-12-by-jim-butcher.html

Of notice, is this little tidbit that you guys will likely be interested in:

[On a side note Jim Butcher has revealed that in his short story collection Side Jobs, to be released later this year, it will contain a short story/novella called Aftermath which will be set 45 minutes after the end of Changes and will be featuring the POV of Karrin Murphy. So this will be an important follow-up in regards to the cliffhanger at the end of Changes.]

Hyperstorm
April 13th, 2010, 01:44 PM
Hey Bastard

Thanks for the link-up :) & that potential reveal by JB does help & makes his short story collection "SIDE JOBS" a must have for me & other JB fans.

Mihir

Hellequin
April 20th, 2010, 03:01 PM
Reading Changes now; man Butcher is a fantastic author. Holds your interest all the way through.

I'm bummed I don't have another of his books ready to go after this one :o

jackal912
April 20th, 2010, 03:53 PM
Hellequin, just wait till the ending. Then you'll be agonizing over waiting a year for the next book.

Hyperstorm
April 20th, 2010, 04:53 PM
Hellequin, just wait till the ending. Then you'll be agonizing over waiting a year for the next book.

Thankfully this wait wont be an year as Jim Butcher has revealed that in his short story collection Side Jobs, to be released later this year, it will contain a short story/novella called Aftermath which will be set 45 minutes after the end of Changes and will be featuring the POV of Karrin Murphy. So this should help all of us JB fans get an idea about what happened!

Mihir

Alle
April 22nd, 2010, 02:28 PM
Thankfully this wait wont be an year as Jim Butcher has revealed that in his short story collection Side Jobs, to be released later this year, it will contain a short story/novella called Aftermath which will be set 45 minutes after the end of Changes and will be featuring the POV of Karrin Murphy. So this should help all of us JB fans get an idea about what happened!

Mihir

While I am very thankful about these short stories, and Aftermath in particular, there is so much to be answered that I doubt the short story will cover it. Still, its something! What an ending...

Hyperstorm
April 23rd, 2010, 01:45 PM
While I am very thankful about these short stories, and Aftermath in particular, there is so much to be answered that I doubt the short story will cover it. Still, its something! What an ending...

Yeah, AFTERMATH wont probably give us the entire story but it might give us some idea as to status of the person involved and also I'm not sure about this but I read somewhere that Jim Butcher has also revealed the 1st line of AFTERMATH, which is something to the tune of "I can't believe he's dead"

Mihir