SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 [19] 20 21 22 23

ChrisW
July 3rd, 2010, 02:41 AM
How do you do spoilers here?

Well you could use a search engine to find out.

Or I could be helpful and just answer the question.

[ spoiler] text [ /spoiler] remove the spaces.

expatrie
July 8th, 2010, 01:27 AM
A touch bummed it's not coming out six weeks later on May 13, 2011.

creatorofPreten
July 21st, 2010, 12:12 AM
I started reading the first Dresden files book, but I don't like it because I don't like any of the characters. Especially Susan and Murphy. I don't know if I will finish the first book or not.

The plot is interesting, but likeable characters are always more important to me than plot.

Pvt
July 21st, 2010, 12:58 AM
I got both Stormfront in print and in audio, and decided to listen to the audio a bit before reading the book. But to my surprise James Marsters did such a good job with the narration that I just listened to it the whole way thru. However I haven't gone back to the series since. The first book wasn't bad, but I don't feel compelled to read the next book. Do the stories get better and more epic or is each book just a self contained who dunnit story?

jackal912
July 21st, 2010, 01:03 AM
The books do get better and better with each one - you can sort of see how Storm Front was his first book - he becomes more confident with his stories with each one, though. They do, also, get more and more epic with each book - they're superficially 'self contained' in that each book has a main plot that is introduced and resolved, but each plot becomes progressively more and more dangerous and difficult for him, and they are all part of a larger overarching storyline that becomes more and more apparent and serious as you go through the books.

Ironically, these partially self-contained aspects in each book is part of what makes them enjoyable. Sometimes, big sweeping epics have so many plot threads moving at such a sluggish pace that almost nothing ever gets resolved, except for one or two minor details, until book 10 or whatnot (I'm looking at you, Robert Jordan. :P)

Bastard
July 21st, 2010, 01:42 PM
Yep, each book in the series is pretty much better than the previous one. And when it isn't, it's simply because the previous one was simply one of the best in the series. But, overall, there's quality improvement as the series goes along. And man the last books was amazing in all regards, and quite risky.

dax
July 21st, 2010, 03:40 PM
To be honest, this has been one of the most pleasurable series I've read lately. They are simply fun.

Bastard
July 21st, 2010, 11:50 PM
I started reading the first Dresden files book, but I don't like it because I don't like any of the characters. Especially Susan and Murphy. I don't know if I will finish the first book or not.

The plot is interesting, but likeable characters are always more important to me than plot.
Those are just two characters. There are plenty of recurring characters introduced throughout the series. Susan doesn't appear in most of the books though, and Murphy should grow on you after the 2 or 3rd book, though there were some developments at some points that made it hard to like her in some respects. But she always steps up to the plate when called upon, even when over-matched so that's cool.

Anyways, you have Harry Dresden, who cares about the rest? Everyone has their tastes though.

creatorofPreten
July 22nd, 2010, 06:11 PM
Those are just two characters. There are plenty of recurring characters introduced throughout the series. Susan doesn't appear in most of the books though, and Murphy should grow on you after the 2 or 3rd book, though there were some developments at some points that made it hard to like her in some respects. But she always steps up to the plate when called upon, even when over-matched so that's cool.

Anyways, you have Harry Dresden, who cares about the rest? Everyone has their tastes though.

Harry didn't really grab my attention either. Not like Anita Blake or Mercy Thomson did. There are very few male book characters that I truly like though.

Jim Qwuilleran from the Cat Who books is the only one I can recall off the top of my head. Oh, and Anakin and Obi won from "Revenge of the Sith" written by matthew stover. But that book was so well written. For a movie adaption book, it was amazing. I was so disappointed when I went to see the movie as it felt quite underwhelming to me.

Not that any of this has to do with Harry Dresden. As you said we all have our own tastes. I'm glad a lot of people like him. :)

rune
August 30th, 2010, 04:59 AM
Since I started this thread, hard to believe it was so long ago that I first thought to try the Dresden Files series :D
Well I've read most the books so far, and Im currently re-reading to share my thoughts on this - my most favourite series

These are what Ive managed to review so far-
http://croftfantasyreads.blogspot.com/search/label/Jim%20Butcher

For those die hard fans then?

How do you like how this series progressed?

Which has been your favourite books so far?