View Full Version : Dresden Files

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23

Ornery Wyvern
August 30th, 2010, 08:07 AM
I got both Stormfront in print and in audio, and decided to listen to the audio a bit before reading the book. But to my surprise James Marsters did such a good job with the narration that I just listened to it the whole way thru. However I haven't gone back to the series since. The first book wasn't bad, but I don't feel compelled to read the next book. Do the stories get better and more epic or is each book just a self contained who dunnit story?

Yes, god yes, the first books are fine, but its book 3 that really kicks the series into gear and looses the monster of the month vibe I was beginning to think would continue throughout.

And yes the audiobooks are brilliant.

Bastard
August 30th, 2010, 08:46 AM
Since I started this thread, hard to believe it was so long ago that I first thought to try the Dresden Files series :D
Well I've read most the books so far, and Im currently re-reading to share my thoughts on this - my most favourite series

These are what Ive managed to review so far-
http://croftfantasyreads.blogspot.com/search/label/Jim%20Butcher

For those die hard fans then?

How do you like how this series progressed?

Which has been your favourite books so far?

Changes, to me is easily the best. The series has been great, overall it has a forward momentum and for the most part each book improves upon the former.

Hyperstorm
August 30th, 2010, 09:04 AM
Since I started this thread, hard to believe it was so long ago that I first thought to try the Dresden Files series :D
Well I've read most the books so far, and Im currently re-reading to share my thoughts on this - my most favourite series

For those die hard fans then?

How do you like how this series progressed?

Which has been your favourite books so far?

CHANGES would get my vote as well simply because of its climax and the way it has changed the equation for the series which was going on just fine but now will have a much darker (and slightly unpredictable) future!

Mihir

Bastard
August 30th, 2010, 09:31 AM
I think I'm going to have to temper my expectations for Ghost Story, I don't think it'll have the same impact as Changes and I think because of it it'll let some people down. So, I'm going to lower my expectations.

2 months to go for Side Jobs, really interested in that Murphy PoV.

Hyperstorm
August 30th, 2010, 10:26 AM
I think I'm going to have to temper my expectations for Ghost Story, I don't think it'll have the same impact as Changes and I think because of it it'll let some people down. So, I'm going to lower my expectations.

I understand what you mean, but its going to be really hard as JB has proven his mettle with the previous 12 books and even with the title, it pretty much gives a clue as to what it might herald.

The law of averages might catch up with J. Butcher sooner or later but until then I guess all of us will continue to expect better from each book of his.

2 months to go for Side Jobs, really interested in that Murphy PoV.

Yeah, this should stir things a bit. Also "Dark and Stormy Knights" was released a bit earlier and it has a POV story from Johny Marcone which was pretty cool. Revealed quite a bit of his thought process & his feelings about Harry Dresden.

Mihir

rune
August 30th, 2010, 11:07 AM
Now Changes isnt my favourite book because of the ending. I didnt like the way it ended at all, very quick too :confused:

And Im wondering what the next book is going to be like, as mentioned I suppose Harry can come back as a ghost, but I feel it would of been better to explore what would of happened if Harry had ended up as the Winter Knight

hawkwind
August 30th, 2010, 11:13 AM
Now Changes isnt my favourite book because of the ending. I didnt like the way it ended at all, very quick too :confused:

And Im wondering what the next book is going to be like, as mentioned I suppose Harry can come back as a ghost, but I feel it would of been better to explore what would of happened if Harry had ended up as the Winter Knight

Mab has been wanting Harry as the Winter Knight for a long time. I doubt she will let something as insignificant as a bullet kill Harry. As for as she is concerned Harry is hers.

Hobbit
August 30th, 2010, 11:18 AM
Just a subtle reminder: please cover up those big plot changes with spoiler tags.

There are people out there (including me!) who haven't read Changes yet (but soon... soon!) who might be a little upset to read what you put here.

Mark

hawkwind
August 30th, 2010, 11:20 AM
Sorry about that. I am usually a stickler for spoiler tags but totally forgot this time.

Siberian
August 30th, 2010, 11:49 AM
Re Changes

I suspect Harry's death was Butcher's way to let him escape the Winter Knight service as it would have been too restrictive for his character development and the plot of the next 10 books.