View Full Version : Dresden Files

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23

rune
August 31st, 2010, 11:47 AM
I do think Harry is dead, because I've seen a description for the next book and it's the ghost of harry comes back to figure out who murdered him.
So that's pretty conclusive. I just hope he comes back, I still dont see how the series can progress with him a ghost.

As for who killed him - I've no idea. He's got so many enemies, it's hard to even guess.

hawkwind
August 31st, 2010, 11:58 AM
I do think Harry is dead, because I've seen a description for the next book and it's the ghost of harry comes back to figure out who murdered him.
So that's pretty conclusive. I just hope he comes back, I still dont see how the series can progress with him a ghost.

As for who killed him - I've no idea. He's got so many enemies, it's hard to even guess.

Damn I was all ready to write up a long theory until you wrote this and blew my theory out of the water.

When I first read him getting shot I automatically thought of Kincaid. One of the few assassins we have come across. But somehow like you said I don't think Ivy would let that happen. Because if Kincaid did do it then more than likely the orders came from Ivy. I believe Kincaid only lives for Ivy now.

Like Rune said Harry has a lot of enemies. But my bet is on the Black Council. Harry has already done so much to ruin their plans, especially after what he did to the Red Council. So they have every reason to fear Harry

So it looks like in fact Harry does die and becomes a ghost according to Rune. I am not sure how I like this. This would mean at some point that Harry gets resurrected and I never liked that plot twist (except maybe in Erikson's Malazan where you deal with it all the time.) I don't think we ever came across any resurrecting in any of the Dresden books. I think Butcher is going to have to walk a fine line in this next book. After consistently writing better and better books (at least no groaners in this series) I hope things don't start falling apart.

hawkwind
August 31st, 2010, 12:04 PM
Rune - where did you find that description?

hawkwind
August 31st, 2010, 12:08 PM
Okay I found a description of the next book and:

Rune was not exactly accurate. There is no mention him being a ghost. Below is the description of the next book if you like to read it. I know Bastard hates reading these things so you might want to ignore it.

Meet Harry Dresden, Chicago's first (and only) Wizard P. I. Turns out the 'everyday' world is full of strange and magical things - and most of them don't play well with humans. That's where Harry comes in. But he's forgotten his own golden rule: magic - it can get a guy killed. Which didn't help when he clashed with unknown assailants with his murder in mind. And though Harry's continued existence is now in some doubt, this doesn't mean he can rest in peace. Trapped in a realm that's not quite here, yet not quite anywhere else, Harry learns that three of his loved ones are in danger. Only by discovering his assailant's identity can he save his friends, bring criminal elements to justice, and move on himself. It would just be easier if he knew who's at risk. And had a (working) crystal ball. And access to magic. Instead, he is unable to interact with the physical world - invisible to all but a select magical few. He's also not the only silent presence roaming Chicago's alleys. Heck, he put some there himself. Now, they're looking for payback.

Siberian
August 31st, 2010, 01:19 PM
I think everybody is assuming he actually died. I believe he is saved before he dies. Mab is the most likely savior because I am sure she has been keeping tabs on Harry. I also wouldn't put it past her to be the one responsible for him getting shot. Basically to break the ties with his friends.

Did you read the cover blurb for the Ghost Story? It pretty much confirms it I think.

hawkwind
August 31st, 2010, 01:58 PM
Check my post before yours. That was the first time I read the blurb and corrected my misunderstanding. But -

It does not mention ghost. It mentions a realm between. Kinda of vague thats why I am thinking he is not an actual ghost. Plus the voice (Mabs?) that Harry heard at the end. Maybe some one put him there (Mabs again?)? Although in the blurb Harry does say he meets people (things) that he personally put there. So maybe he is a ghost but somehow I think its something else. I just don't like the idea he actually died and became a ghost.

Arkeus
August 31st, 2010, 02:12 PM
He was obviously killed by Kincaid under Ivy and Odin's orders, because he needed freeign from Mab

expatrie
September 1st, 2010, 03:16 AM
Hey. Shout me down if this all needs a spoiler wrapper.

I for one am looking forward to a book featuring a lot of people that were "already dealt with." What's that phrase from "The Winter Market" by William Gibson-- comfortably dead?

As reference to a few of the spoilers (Hawkwind) -- I can't agree. Reread Dead Beat. Kumori (name?) -- who I might have misread as Black Council and in with Cowl -- brought someone back, I think. But then again I'm not convinced Cowl isn't someone we've already met and might not really be Black Council. The White Council has been compromised, why can't someone have done the same to the Black Council with a disguise and a little predictive/retrospective magic a la Proven Guilty? I mean, I don't remember well, isn't Cowl still unaccounted for in the aftermath of the Darkhallow? Wasn't he a little absent from the whole finale? Butcher is a complex plotter.

And didn't Harry die already in the third book? Fourth? Fifth? The one with all the ghosts and the Kraven back story and Bianca getting it and Harry starting the war and Susan getting bitten? Death Masks? Grave Peril?

And I'm really looking forward to seeing more of Mortimer. Again. And extra ectoplasm. Should be fun.

I'll have to agree with Harry being actually dead but fighting his way back a la Gandalf the White. Which is a big source for Jim and a lot of references inside the series as well. And I'm also going to second the Kincaid via Ivy with something to do with breaking these chains of Mab, maybe, or otherwise just to clear the "die alone" curse off Harry and get things back to normal, but the manner of death is exactly how Kincaid said he'd do it if he had to. I figure half the book is Harry ghosting around trying to figure out who did it to him and why. If we wanted, it could be Murphy. She's the one who knew where Harry was for certain, and she's been with Kincaid and he might have shared that idea, but it's pretty ridiculous a theory, just thinking as a writer here, not a fan.

I'd rule out Nick, just doesn't sound like him.

Could be Fix, he's a little more technical and opposed to Harry as Winter Knight. Or Summer Knight. I forget. Summer Knight. Doesn't sound like him, but... he did bring a gun to their last confab.

And what exactly was the use of the Word of Kemmler to Mavra?

Things I expect find out in the next one. I'm pretty excited about it.

rune
September 1st, 2010, 04:10 AM
I saw the next book description on the authors site, it was brief but it definately said Harry was a ghost

OneRedFrog
March 27th, 2013, 12:04 AM
Hi Guys,
I was recently given Ghost Story as a gift from my girlfriends seven year old daughter and had never heard of Jim Butcher or the Dresden Files before. To my dismay I found out today that it was book 13 of a series.....arrggh!

Coming on here I was hoping firstly to find out whether the series was worth the read and secondly, I wanted to know if they were stand alone stories or if i really needed to start at the beginning with Storm Front. I suspect the beginning but would be very keen to hear from anyone who knows this series. Thanks in advance

To give you a bit of contact I loved The Wheel of Time, LOTR, anything by Brandon Sanderson, Chris Wooding (Tales of the Ketty Jay), Peter V. Brett (The Demon Cycle)

Cheers