View Full Version : Dresden Files

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

intensityxx
April 9th, 2007, 09:39 AM
I've only read the first three in the series, and I think in this case, visualizing the actors will add to my future reading. Hey, more Paul Blackthorne is good! ;)

Khallandra
April 22nd, 2007, 05:47 AM
I was given the first book for my birthday and after completing the first series of the show I can say I hear the actor's voices in my head.

I did throughly enjoy the book, the Bob in the book is much more lively than the tv-show.

It was a nice simple read that I didn't have to analyse too much or feel I was getting bogged down in. Now I just have to find the rest of them ;)

Reborn
April 22nd, 2007, 08:04 AM
I just ordered the first three books of the series and I hope that they are as good as the majority seem to consider them to be. My expectations are high.

Wulfa_Jones
April 22nd, 2007, 09:14 AM
Seems the latest books is quite hard to get hold of in the UK... knew I should have pre-ordered it from Amazon.co.uk!

Not I can only seem to find it used or selling on ebay for 20! Seems the series has improved the profile of the books.

susie hawes
April 22nd, 2007, 09:54 PM
I've only read one, but it was great. I got bored with the T.V. show. The book was so much better.

chibeth
April 23rd, 2007, 12:53 PM
I adore this series. It's one of the few where each book is better than the last. And Jim Butcher is a super nice guy, so I'm happy he's having so much success. I haven't watched the television show (no time), but that's what Tivo is for. :)

zakhrin
April 24th, 2007, 11:44 AM
Ohh!! How many books are out in US and UK?

the first one has just been out in France.... I might start on that once i am finished with my to read list (which is huge :D )

Leiali
July 23rd, 2007, 10:57 AM
Well I never! I just read through this thread to see if anyone shared my opinion of the first book, and got more than I expected :).

I think that my gripe with it is one which Ficus Fan covered in 2004 or something, but I would like to elaborate. Ficus Fan mentioned that further on in the series, the plot threads thicken, Harry is in the midst having to save the day etc. since this seemed to me to be happening in the first book stretching Harry and his abilities a bit thin, I wonder how much more a couple of days in his life can pack in. I realise that as the main protagonist and a powerful wizard he has some stamina but....

who can withstand lightning, concussion, bullets, scorpion stings - and working all weekend without sleep. Not even the hardiest mortal imo

I also had trouble with the writing style which seemed unpolished, raw even. And the summing up every few chapters of what was happening and how crazy it all was, well it seemed pointless and distracting from the pace. And Harry seems a caricature, not realistically drawn; James Stewart in Harvey, rather than Humphrey Bogart in the Maltese Falcon.

I borrowed the book from a staunch fan of the series, and will disappoint her when I say no thanks to the rest, but the clever mixing of magic and noir isn't enough for me.

Leiali
July 25th, 2007, 07:23 AM
And the other thing I forgot to mention was if our PI is so skint all the time, why doesn't he use public transport? What's wrong with the trains, buses etc in Chicago? Or walking?! A petty point I know, but having had the privilege of a car for less than a year, but still using public transport regularly, I can't say I have much sympathy for someone who has a taxi waiting for them - and on a meter. It must be a cultural thing :)

Stark Raven
July 25th, 2007, 02:53 PM
And the other thing I forgot to mention was if our PI is so skint all the time, why doesn't he use public transport? What's wrong with the trains, buses etc in Chicago? Or walking?! A petty point I know, but having had the privilege of a car for less than a year, but still using public transport regularly, I can't say I have much sympathy for someone who has a taxi waiting for them - and on a meter. It must be a cultural thing :)

I can hazard a guess on this one, although I've only read the first two books. From what I've gathered, wizards have a negative effect on technology just by their presence. He likely avoids public transportation in order to not cause issues for others. Trains and buses would tend to break down if he rode on them, leaving a lot of people stranded. He's your classic nice guy (at least so far as I've read) and probably wouldn't want to be responsible for that. As for walking, if I remember correctly, he does end up doing a good deal of that.

As for my impression of the books, I like them. They are nice, easy reads with enough personality to keep me interested. I appreciate the underdog feel of the main character (hope that doesn't change, as reported by others), the quirky humor and the mix of magic and modern day. The writing itself ranges from mediocre to inspired, but as with any beginning author I expect that will level out to pretty good over time. No offense to Mr. Butcher intended, of course.