View Full Version : Dresden Files

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

Leiali
July 25th, 2007, 04:09 PM
Thanks Stark Raven, now you point it out, I can see why Dresden shouldn't use public transport...Though a taxi is often the sole means of income for a self employed individual who quite often will own the vehicle as I understand it? Having a cab breakdown because your passenger has magical interference issues would be quite difficult financially I should think. He should just walk everywhere!

Khallandra
July 28th, 2007, 10:11 PM
He should just walk everywhere!

Only problem is everyone is after him all the time, stalking his place so if he walked everywhere they'd know the ways in and out of his place to watch for him, jump him.

Though he isn't one to stay in the car that much. Tends to like to jump out of moving vehicles.

I think I like the complete unbelievable-ness of it, Harry is just plain awesome - super human even! For me it is a refreshing read after some of the more 'heavy' fantasy works - something frivolous to read for a weekend :)

fantastyfreak
July 29th, 2007, 06:41 PM
I have never read the book series.. I will though because I really enjoyed the tv series when it was on Scifi Channel.

KatG
July 29th, 2007, 08:48 PM
In the U.S., everything is sprawl. Big cities like Chicago have mass transit, but it's mostly effective for getting around downtown. If you have to go to the suburbs in a hurry, forget it. Walking when things are urgent for miles is not going to be very effective either. So Harry has a car, but that car keeps breaking down because of his magic. When he's in a hurry, he then is forced to take a cab and hope that it doesn't break down.

Freaky -- the novels are a good bit different from the series -- the magic system is different for one thing, Harry's background is different and the plotlines are less linear. They basically just sort of used the novels as inspiration. But the guy who played Harry I thought is very good and got the character more or less right. And the tone of the books is great -- a nice play on hard-boiled mysteries.

rockmonkey
July 31st, 2007, 06:41 PM
I really enjoy the series, but after the last Codex Alera book I think it's surpassed Dresden Files for me. Mainly because Tavi and gang are building to something whereas Dresden Files... isn't, as much.
I understand that the two series are very different in pacing and story structure. Dresden Files is always a case to case deal with an overall plot that develops across the books but in series such as these you tend to see the main char(s) developing more, either mentally or more commonly, power wise. I don't expect Dresden to get overly powerful, such as Anita Blake or even John Taylor but even a little MORE refining of his abilities or at least showcasing the abilities he has, and maybe accumulating more powerful tools.

Things I liked that DID go in this direction were the new shield bracelet and the city model

more along that line. I'm still waiting for someone to claim that swordwhich was kind of thrown in the corner and gets a mention and a nod once or twice a book

Also, I don't see why Harry couldn't make more use of the bus, although lately he seems to either drive is own ride or hitch a ride from a friend who is helping out.

Also, the major, BIGGEST, best development lately in the series is Harry's apprentice, Molly

Just my two cents.
Only worth what I charge ya for 'em.

Edit: Also for those who dig the modern day supernatural detective vibe you should check out Simon R. Green's Night Side Novels.

Wulfa_Jones
August 1st, 2007, 03:47 AM
Also for those who dig the modern day supernatural detective vibe you should check out Simon R. Green's Night Side Novels

I'd disagree with that, I read "Something from the Nightside" and thought it was very poorly written. The world is a bit like Gaimain's Neverwhere mixed with Dresden. I found the story to be weak and the prose to be pretty shabby.

Icarium
August 1st, 2007, 09:15 AM
yeah, agree with you on that one, the nightside serie is a really poor serie.. i think i read about 6 of them, in the hope that they would get better but they never do... the first one wasnt so bad but after reading over and over the same thing again and again book after book, one gets tired...

Leiali
August 1st, 2007, 02:48 PM
Rock Monkey, what is Codex Alera? I feel I have entered into a world of fantasy noir I never knew existed reading the last couple of posts!

Hobbit
August 1st, 2007, 05:21 PM
Ah, I can help there: Codex Alera is Jim's other series he's writing.

Is more traditional Fantasy, though yet to get a UK release.

So far there are 4:

1. Furies of Calderon (2004)
2. Academ's Fury (2005)
3. Cursor's Fury (2006)
4. Captain's Fury (2007)

And while we're updating: The Dresden Files series on DVD is being released on August 7th. (I have an order in through AmazonUS.)

Going back to an earlier point: I like the Dresden books: they're fun, not particularly deep, but there's some good ideas in there and the pages keep turning. Harry's basically a good guy under difficult circumstances and a character I engaged with much faster than Charlie Huston's Joe Pitt. The series develops as it goes along and the writing becomes stronger as it goes. Less sexual than Hamilton, more hopeful than Huston. :) I'm up to Book 6 (I think) in the Official Reviews.

Hobbit

Hellsfire
August 2nd, 2007, 02:32 PM
Although I loved The Dresden Files at first and recommended them either on this thread or another awhile ago, I must say I've been disappointed by the last couple of books. None of the plots seem to be resolving except for the mystery of the book. And that plot just adds more plots.