View Full Version : Dresden Files

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

Hobbit
August 2nd, 2007, 02:49 PM
I've been disappointed by the last couple of books. What do you mean by those Hellfire?; due to the differences in publication between the US and the UK, is that Proven Guilty and White Night? We're not quite up to those in the UK.

Interesting point though: Jim only recently got a new contract for more Dresden, I believe.

Hobbit

Hellsfire
August 2nd, 2007, 03:12 PM
What do you mean by those Hellfire?; due to the differences in publication between the US and the UK, is that Proven Guilty and White Night? We're not quite up to those in the UK.

Interesting point though: Jim only recently got a new contract for more Dresden, I believe.

Hobbit

I didn't know there was a difference in publishing. I haven't read White Night since I only buy the paperbacks. Proven Guilty, Dead Beat, and maybe the one before I started noticing that nothing gets solved. Without giving anything away, whatever the blurb is will get solved but that just leads to more complicated plots.

Off the top of my head, the war, the thing between Murphy and Dresden, the coin. It's more frustrating than anything else as I don't feel satisfied when I finish a book anymore.

That's the sad thing about reading series, they start off well but seem to get worse if there's no ending in sight.

I'll still read them but I'm no longer looking forward to the next book.

KatG
August 3rd, 2007, 09:43 AM
Well, it's a mystery series. It's not supposed to end. Some of the non-fantasy mystery series have been running for thirty years or so, with a book coming out every year or two years. It's not like an epic where there's one big story sliced into sections. In supernatural fantasy, you're going to find much more the model of hard-boiled and cozy mystery series, where there're some over-arching plot threads, but the main point of the story is the mystery case of the individual book, and having that particular detective solve that mystery, usually a murder.

That kind of story structure -- where it's about solving mysteries, and the transformation of the character is not fast but slowly over a lifetime sort of thing -- isn't going to appeal to everyone. Luckily, I like both epics and mysteries, so I'm set. :)

What I find most compelling about the Dresden series is Harry's fear -- that he'll slip and get corrupted and consumed by black magic. And he has to deal with that, with the consequences of having power -- and the dangers of trying to obtain more power -- and the reflection of that struggle in the cases he's dealing with when he's trying to help people. It's the moral ground that suspense loves to explore, and it's the anchoring note in Hamilton's Anita Blake series too, though in a different way.

I also like the little hard-boiled detective touches to the stories that are given a fantasy twist. Others are doing it too, but I think Butcher does it very well and with a lot of style and decent humor. I'd be interested in reading the Codex series to see what he does in that playground.

monolith
August 3rd, 2007, 08:03 PM
What do you mean by those Hellfire?; due to the differences in publication between the US and the UK, is that Proven Guilty and White Night? We're not quite up to those in the UK.

Really? I'm living in Germany and had no problem ordering them (Amazon or other internet bookstores).
BTW, I love the Dresden Files series, with Deadbeat and Summer Knight being my favorites. The latest two books were a slight drop-down, imo.
The Alera books ain't half bad, either. I consider Cursor's Fury the best book Jim Butcher has written up to date.

ColdSun
August 3rd, 2007, 08:11 PM
I really enjoy both of his series (Dresden and Codex Alera). He is an excellent writer and he seems to be getting even better with each book. The next installment of Codex Alera couldn't arrive soon enough for me.

Hobbit
August 4th, 2007, 02:55 AM
I'm living in Germany and had no problem ordering them (Amazon or other internet bookstores). Yes, they are available on import, but my point was that they have not been published by a British publisher (yet).

Sorry for any confusion.

Looks like I need to get round to the Codex books.

Hobbit

Hobbit
August 4th, 2007, 12:49 PM
One more update: (really, this is a post for the TV Forum area, but as we're talking about it here, thought it might be useful :) looks like the TV series is cancelled: (LINK HERE (http://www.syfyportal.com/news423993.html))

I was hoping the DVD release might improve things. Having said that there's nothing (yet) at Jim's website (http://www.jim-butcher.com/).

LATER EDIT: Now confirmed at Jim's site: LINK HERE. (http://www.jim-butcher.com/news/000209.php)

Hobbit

intensityxx
August 4th, 2007, 04:51 PM
looks like the TV series is cancelled: (LINK HERE (http://www.syfyportal.com/news423993.html)) Boo! Hiss! :mad:

Hellsfire
August 5th, 2007, 12:56 AM
I'm glad the show is over. It was just bad.

I am curious as to how Butcher's other series is. A couple people said it was good but what makes it good? And does it have an end in sight or is it ongoing?

Khallandra
August 5th, 2007, 03:41 AM
Awe that sucks, I enjoyed the two series (book and tv) differently and now there is only the one :(

But I am a book convert from watching the tv-series (prefer the books anyway, Book!Murphy is MUCH better).